Options

Advice for 'Labing it up'

thenoble06thenoble06 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey,

Quick question for you all.

I'm just going to start studying for 70-640 and everyone I seen that has passed this exam sugests that sorting out a lab setup is the way to go.

Since I have no room (or money) for 2 or 3 physical servers and some desktop clients I'm going to have to go down the virtualisation route. Unfortunately I only have a laptop (centrino 2 2.3Ghz, 2Gb, big hdd, Win 7 Pro). Can I set up virtualisation for what I would need on that sort of laptop?

Since I'm a newb to virtualisation - any help or guidance would be great :)

Passed some exams. Failed others!

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got through it using my old desktop which unfortunately is no more powerful than your laptop. Only 2 GB of RAM leaves you with some slow VMs as that's what I had.
    If possible try to see if you can upgrade to 4GB of RAM as it'll improve performance and enable you to have more VMs running at once. I did it with my 2GB and the VMs are very sluggish but I got through.
    Get VMWare Workstation (not free) or use Virtualbox (free) or Virtual PC.
    Most of the labs (if using the MS Press self paced Training Kit) you'll be able to do with what you've got. Unless you get more RAM you'll be unable to do a couple of the exercises in the book. Most labs only require 2 or 3 VMs which you can do with what you have but due to RAM limits (512MB per VM) you can't run more than 3 and that will be at a snails pace.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Good stuff Earweed - I'll see if I can get a bit more RAM and go from there.

Ta for the advice

• Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Use VirtualBox for 64-bit OS installs (provided you have a 64-bit OS to host them VMs!!) ! icon_wink.gif Virtual PC doesn't support 64-bit guests.
  • Options
    I'm only running a 32Bit OS so no worries there :)

• Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have almost the same Specs for my laptop just got 4GB of memory which certainly helps a lot. I'm using VMware and I got 4 servers and one desktop running and the performance is great.

I think you'll only need to upgrade the ram and you're good to go.

Lapping is so important, i don't think i could've passed the exam (642)without it and now it's really helpful in studying 640
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think you will be able to install Server 2008 as a VM on a 32-bit box, at least I couldn't.I had an Intel box running a 32-bit desktop motherboard. I could install Server 2008 directly on that system, it just installed as a 32-bit OS. However, I could not install Server 2008 on that box as a VM because I kept getting errors relating to installing a 64-bit OS on 32-bit hardware. I tried it with VMware Server 2.0, VirtualBox, and Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2. That's why I built my new machine and installed WMware esxi 4.

Has anyone successfully installed Server 2008 as a VM on 32-bit hardware?
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lunchbocks wrote: »
    I don't think you will be able to install Server 2008 as a VM on a 32-bit box, at least I couldn't.I had an Intel box running a 32-bit desktop motherboard. I could install Server 2008 directly on that system, it just installed as a 32-bit OS. However, I could not install Server 2008 on that box as a VM because I kept getting errors relating to installing a 64-bit OS on 32-bit hardware. I tried it with VMware Server 2.0, VirtualBox, and Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2. That's why I built my new machine and installed WMware esxi 4.

Has anyone successfully installed Server 2008 as a VM on 32-bit hardware?
    Server 2008 R2 is 64-bit only, so if you want 32-bit, you have to install the 32-bit version of the original (non-R2) Server 2008.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually get funny looks but you can see a performance increase if you launch the vm but rdp rather than work with it directly you will see a noticable performance improvement especially with limited ram.
  • Options
    I've noticed that also. I haven't been able to find any explanations for why.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Server 2008 R2 is 64-bit only, so if you want 32-bit, you have to install the 32-bit version of the original (non-R2) Server 2008.

Yeah I found that out on another thread. I'm guessing the 70-640 exam is specifically for Windows 2008 Server (normal) and NOT for the R2 edition?

• Options
    Yeah it covers the normal Server 2008 but if you use Server 2008 R2 for labbing it's similar enough that it wouldn't hurt you. R2 isn't that dissimilar from regular Server 2008 just a few new added features.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    You should check the system requirements to be sure your processor can handle Hyper-V and consider dual-booting Windows 7 and Server 2008 - particularly if you have a hard drive large enough to hold multiple OSes.

There are Hyper-V exam objectives on the 643 exam, and I can almost guarantee you that there will not be a single question about VMWare in the Server 2008 core exams. If you are going to use virtualization for your lab setup - and you should - why not use the product that will actually appear on the exams?
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    You should check the system requirements to be sure your processor can handle Hyper-V and consider dual-booting Windows 7 and Server 2008 - particularly if you have a hard drive large enough to hold multiple OSes.

There are Hyper-V exam objectives on the 643 exam, and I can almost guarantee you that there will not be a single question about VMWare in the Server 2008 core exams. If you are going to use virtualization for your lab setup - and you should - why not use the product that will actually appear on the exams?
    Already taken care of here. My old comp (that I'm on now) doesn't have VT.
    I built a new comp which I'm currently only using for labbing. Already have Hyper-V installed but due to finances only have 4GB RAM so far. Upgrading memory as soon as finances allow so I'll be able to support more VMs. I put in 4 HD's and played around with them for almost an entire night while studying the section on storage.
  • Options
    thenoble06 wrote: »
    Yeah I found that out on another thread. I'm guessing the 70-640 exam is specifically for Windows 2008 Server (normal) and NOT for the R2 edition?
    \

True but R2 was built to work with Windows 7 so using it you can use a lot of Win 7 features so if you have the 680 exam using it will be a big benefit since the normal version doesn't support all of Win 7 features.
  • Options
    za3bour wrote: »
    \

True but R2 was built to work with Windows 7 so using it you can use a lot of Win 7 features so if you have the 680 exam using it will be a big benefit since the normal version doesn't support all of Win 7 features.
    +1 If wishing to truly study Windows 7 it's best to have 2008 R2 and Windows 7 Ultimate/Enterprise running.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    earweed wrote: »
    +1 If wishing to truly study Windows 7 it's best to have 2008 R2 and Windows 7 Ultimate/Enterprise running.
    Whew! That costs! How much in your estimate?
    Also, how likely is that you'll see companies upgrade their clients to Ultimate/Enterprise edition? Versus just keeping XP Pro for the sake of being able to join a domain...
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    varelg wrote: »
    Whew! That costs! How much in your estimate?
    Also, how likely is that you'll see companies upgrade their clients to Ultimate/Enterprise edition? Versus just keeping XP Pro for the sake of being able to join a domain...

With all due respect I think you're rather getting away from what the thread is about.

What's necessary for the 680 exam is a 2008 R2 server as well as Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate to be able to use the latest technologies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    Actually we kind of strayed off topic, The OP was wondering about setting up to study for the 70-640.icon_wink.gif
    While he can get by with just adding a little memory to lab it up for the 640 and 642 he'll need to do a little more, as Claymoore noted, when it comes time for the 643.
    While the one poster was referring to the cost of Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 ultimate/enterprise we were only referring to what to use while studying for the exam.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Earweed had put it just right. I am interested in building an optimal lab as well, and wonder how much would it cost vs. how likely it is to see that scenario "out there in the wild".
    Not only for 70-640 but 42 and 43 as well.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You might want to downgrade your laptop from 7 to XP, this will free up a good 512+ ram. Go ahead and use Virtual PC in this case too. I've found it to be more friendly on ram then Vmware and Virtual Box.

That said you can probably run 3 2008 VMs without issue.

But the second you can afford it, get an extra gig of ram in there.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Look at claymoores thread about requirements for using Hyper-V. Some advice first, I'm sure you can buy a computer suitable for your needs much cheaper than you can build one. I built one and I still need to invest more $$ for more RAM to make it what I want for in the future but it'll do for now. I spent close to $700 building a comp (MOBO, Corei5 processor, 1 Big HD and had 3 small ones to add on hand, PS, DDR3 RAM, Box) and could have bought one as Hyper-Me did recently (Dell w/corei5 ready for action with Hyper-V).
    As far vas the software you'd probably be getting off cheaper getting a technet subscription for the software. I got all mine (2008, 2008 R2, XP, Vista Business, 7 Business) from WGU through MSDNAA.
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    There are several ways of building a lab for testing and exam preparation. My current way is:

1. A desktop PC which has 8gb of ram and Windows 7. I use VMWare Workstation which has many virtual machines including the main 5 server domain setup with a client (Vista), 2 SQL Server installations on standalone servers, and a Exchange 2007 Server.

2. A laptop

I'm in the process of updating the desktop PC and already have a brand new Asus Socket 1156 mobo, which I'll be adding an i7 Intel CPU and 8gb of DDR3 ram in early September. Once this is assembled the old PC will be a full blown server with a bare metal hypervisor installed and my server operating systems running over top of that.

With two puters and dedicated server I will have a lot more options for testing and learning compared to now.

All my Microsoft software comes via my Technet subscription.

Currently for the study of 640 and 642 my time is split about half and half between reading and practical stuff on the servers. I'm big on the reading because I want to know how stuff works not just end up being a click or keyboard monkey.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Virtualisation is definatley the way to go, start off as stated with a well specced desktop but always look at bettering your lab, training is an investment in yourself and while I do not advocate wasting money on courses I do advocate spending good money on a good lab. I am lucky enough to run a PowerEdge 2950 2 x Xeon 3gig, 20gig RAM 1 TB HDD space Drac5, and 6 nics but it took me a long time to arrive at owning such a nice piece of kit. I would also advise a Technet or MAPS subscription for software...but this is a long term goal, the studying never really ends so a good lab should be a long term goal for anyone IMO always be on the lookout for old kit from where you work too.
  • Options
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    Virtualisation is definatley the way to go, start off as stated with a well specced desktop but always look at bettering your lab, training is an investment in yourself and while I do not advocate wasting money on courses I do advocate spending good money on a good lab. I am lucky enough to run a PowerEdge 2950 2 x Xeon 3gig, 20gig RAM 1 TB HDD space Drac5, and 6 nics but it took me a long time to arrive at owning such a nice piece of kit. I would also advise a Technet or MAPS subscription for software...but this is a long term goal, the studying never really ends so a good lab should be a long term goal for anyone IMO always be on the lookout for old kit from where you work too.

That's a nice kit for sure icon_thumright.gif enjoy it