dte/dce cable

jeff113jeff113 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
do i need a dte/dce cable if i have a 3rd router to do frame relay

Comments

• typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
    jeff113 wrote: »

The frame switch will need to provide clocking.

Based on having to issue the frame-relay intf-type dce interface subcommand on the frame-relay switch, I believe you will.

All DCE ends will connect to the FR switch.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Out of curiosity, will my ICND2 book show me how to set up the FR switch? I think some hands-on might help me understand what the point of FR is if I can tinker with it.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    bermovick wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, will my ICND2 book show me how to set up the FR switch? I think some hands-on might help me understand what the point of FR is if I can tinker with it.
    I kind of doubt it. You can search here or on Cisco's site, there should be plenty to keep you busy :)
    CCNP :study:
  • typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
    bermovick wrote: »

The ICND2 guide won't show you configuration of the Frame Relay switch itself. If you have access to Lammle's 6th Ed., then there is one frame relay lab which shows the Frame Switch configuration.
    fly351 wrote: »
    I kind of doubt it. You can search here or on Cisco's site, there should be plenty to keep you busy :)

Definitely. Check these out as well:

Cisco Frame Relay Configurations > Configuring a Cisco Router as a Frame Relay Switch

Frame Relay Switch Configuration For Cisco Lab
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sweet thanks. I'm not up to the FR sections of Odom's book, but after CBTNuggets' sections on it, I was left wondering why it was necessary. We already have a quite functional framework for connecting .... pretty much anywhere to anywhere else; and with VPN's, it's pretty secure. Maybe actually doing some labs with it I'll start to see it's purpose.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • goshgosh Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    testout 2005 has a video on how to setup frame relay...
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    jeff113 wrote: »

jeff113,

How many routers do you currently have?