Options

certs and level of pay

lrm289lrm289 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Wondering about what level of employment I'm eligible for with a CIW5 and a COMPTIA A+ certifications, and what kind of income level would that be? Also, I'm looking to get into this field as soon as possible but I need to make atleast $22.00 an hour, how many more certs would I need to have under my belt to reach that income level?

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lrm289 wrote: »
    Wondering about what level of employment I'm eligible for with a CIW5 and a COMPTIA A+ certifications, and what kind of income level would that be? Also, I'm looking to get into this field as soon as possible but I need to make atleast $22.00 an hour, how many more certs would I need to have under my belt to reach that income level?

In the world of IT it's about experience and not about how many certifications you have. Try this thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/16350-job-salary-updates.html

Don't expect a lot since you are just starting out.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    you asked how many certifications you need to have to make at least that much? well a lot of factors matters to answer that question, but you will need at least a couple of years of I.T experience (2-3) or even more to make that sort of salary, but then again it really depends.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I live in the Northern California Bay Area. My first job after getting my A+ paid me $12 an hour fixing computers. I did desktop support after that and made $20 an hour. After that job my pay has steadily decreased though...
  • Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    Isn't $18 to $22 the starting wage of Desktop Support?

At least here this is the range i found in Calgary for Desktop Support

$15 to $17- Worse Case - If all else fails
    $18 to $22 - Starting Wage
    $22 to $27 - 1 to 3 years expereince
    $28 to $35 - 3 years and up expereince

Found most of them landed in the $25 to $30 range for contract or Perm was $50k to $55k a year

If you really want to make good money in Desktop Support or anything in general...move to Northern Alberta like Fort McMuarry.

You can probaly pull in 100k/year with not much education/expereince.

Check this link out for more info video on it (watch it in order) - first video is from CBC, second one is from 60 minutes but watch it in order
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-lS7janLzE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYML36YbXo8

Example of Desktop Support Position offer i got once and decline (didn't want to move)

$70 000 /year
    $10 000 - Bonus for Not quiting after first year
    $1100 Monthly Living Expense (Tax Free) - Per month
    $500 Monthly LIving Expense (taxable) - Per month (So a Total of $1600 Living Expense)
    Plus Weekly Flights back home to calgary (round trip)
    Plus Regualer Bonus/Profit Sharing/Benefits

(That offer was also on low end compare to other company)

Did i also mention - Free Health Care, Low Crime
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□

At least three years expierence :P
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Depends where you work, which location.

If you don't have any experience certs will just get you in the door. If you market yourself fairly well you can maybe get a little hire wage. If you are in the midwest, with those skill sets you will get maybe 16-17 dollars an hour. I would figure east coast would be 3-4 dollars more an hour.

Most of our techs have at least one certifications and they still come in around 15 dollars an hour.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got a lot of my certs during the first two years of IT to get noticed on keyword searches by technical recruiters. What got me my pay raises and new job opportunities was what I did after I was hired which was learn real world skills.

Kind of hard to justify asking for more money from your employer when the only router experience you have with your CCNA was the router sim that came with the book.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No, this is not typical at all. At least not for the US. Can't speak to niche areas like the Northern Alberta oil sands, though.
    asurania wrote: »
    Isn't $18 to $22 the starting wage of Desktop Support?

At least here this is the range i found in Calgary for Desktop Support

$15 to $17- Worse Case - If all else fails
    $18 to $22 - Starting Wage
    $22 to $27 - 1 to 3 years expereince
    $28 to $35 - 3 years and up expereince

Found most of them landed in the $25 to $30 range for contract or Perm was $50k to $55k a year

If you really want to make good money in Desktop Support or anything in general...move to Northern Alberta like Fort McMuarry.

You can probaly pull in 100k/year with not much education/expereince.

Check this link out for more info video on it (watch it in order) - first video is from CBC, second one is from 60 minutes but watch it in order
    YouTube - FortMcMoney.com Drt2Oil.com
    YouTube - Alberta Oil Sands featured on "60 Minutes"

Example of Desktop Support Position offer i got once and decline (didn't want to move)

$70 000 /year
    $10 000 - Bonus for Not quiting after first year
    $1100 Monthly Living Expense (Tax Free) - Per month
    $500 Monthly LIving Expense (taxable) - Per month (So a Total of $1600 Living Expense)
    Plus Weekly Flights back home to calgary (round trip)
    Plus Regualer Bonus/Profit Sharing/Benefits

(That offer was also on low end compare to other company)

Did i also mention - Free Health Care, Low Crime
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    No, this is not typical at all. At least not for the US. Can't speak to niche areas like the Northern Alberta oil sands, though.

It was during the bubble :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    These days, like someone else said, certs just get you in the door. You don't "Qualify" for a certain wage just because you have a certification. It used to be somewhat like that before the bubble burst near the turn of the century, but you'll be hard pressed to make that wage in an entry level position. But it shouldn't take you terribly long to get there... a year or two of experience with a jump into desktop support probably would suffice, and it goes up from there if you have decent work ethic, stay up to date with your skills, and are smart about things.

If you really want to get started in IT, you might need to look at why you "have to" make that much per hour... is there anything that you can cut back or is it just because that's what you're making today and you don't want to lose it?

Good luck

b
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...