Can't ping across a PPP link

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
I can't understand it - my serial interfaces are up/up between two routers, but I can't ping the IP address of the other router. It seems like a pretty simple configuration. They're almost identical.

Here's some of the output from Router 1:

username Alpha password Alpha

interface serial0
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
no ip directed-broadcast
clock rate 56000
bandwidth 1544
encapsulation ppp

Router 2:

username Omega password Alpha

interface serial0
ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0
no ip directed-broadcast
bandwidth 1544
encapsulation ppp

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm on my phone so I can't see your configs, but your serial interfaces are on different networks. I would start looking there... Hth
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    he is right you should use the ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 in the other side
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Yeah, I finally figured out that I needed to put the routers on the same network. It worked fine, then. I figured that to have them ping while on different networks, I'd need a routing protocol - like RIP - so I configured it this way. I wasn't able to ping anymore. Still trying to figure out why not. Such a simple problem - I feel like a moron.....
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    Yeah, I finally figured out that I needed to put the routers on the same network. It worked fine, then. I figured that to have them ping while on different networks, I'd need a routing protocol - like RIP - so I configured it this way. I wasn't able to ping anymore. Still trying to figure out why not. Such a simple problem - I feel like a moron.....

Don't worry about it... everyone has made this mistake (okay... maybe not everyone, but I know I have).

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    I figured that to have them ping while on different networks, I'd need a routing protocol - like RIP - so I configured it this way. I wasn't able to ping anymore. Still trying to figure out why not.

Because the link between two interconnected devices must reside on the same network to communicate. Your routing protocols make communication possible between different networks.