sub interface admin, down and line prot down

outrunredoutrunred Banned Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all.

just trying to finish off some lab work ready for my ICND2 exam tomorrow....left all this a little late, feel confident but am lacking in a bit of lab stuff....

ok, so, I know most of you hate the simulators, however for convenience at work I'm using the Boson one....it doesn't kick the cr @p out of my machine... I would use GNS3 but at work it's hard to do. anyway

in my virtual lab...I have a router....with 2 sub interfaces on the ethernet 0 interface....e0.10 and e0.20..... as you may have guessded they're going to be part of a VLAN lab

I hav ethe sub ints. configured with encaps. dot1q and set with ID of 10 and 20 respectively 9my VLANs will be 10 and 20

I also have set IP addresses to these sub interfaces on different subnets....192.168.2.1 and 192.168.3.1

have set no shutdown on both...

but they refuse to come up....

they're connected to a switch (e0 is technically connected) and e0 is showing up and fine

hav ei missed something blazingly obvious? or is this a lab problem

strange thing is, the switch can ping the sub interface....what's going on?

cheers guys

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Did you do a no shut on the main interface? If you can ping it then I'd assume its just some kind of simulator crap you are running into.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • outrunredoutrunred Banned Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah - did a no shutdown on that too.

as long as it's just a sim thing.... so you think I haven't missed anything? I mean, what I said looks right to you....

cheers
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Did you set your native VLAN?
    CCNP :study:
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    outrunred wrote: »
    yeah - did a no shutdown on that too.

as long as it's just a sim thing.... so you think I haven't missed anything? I mean, what I said looks right to you....

cheers

We can look over your config if you post it, but seems to be working if everything is pinging.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    trunk the line from switch to router? Native Vlan? Is switch the root bridge? have you setup the vlans on the server switch? set access mode on the switch connected to PC?

like some one said would need to see you configs to know whats up
    WGU BS: IT-Security
    In Progress: C170, C246
    To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179
  • Age_27Age_27 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    outrunred wrote: »
    Hi all.

just trying to finish off some lab work ready for my ICND2 exam tomorrow....left all this a little late, feel confident but am lacking in a bit of lab stuff....

ok, so, I know most of you hate the simulators, however for convenience at work I'm using the Boson one....it doesn't kick the cr @p out of my machine... I would use GNS3 but at work it's hard to do. anyway

in my virtual lab...I have a router....with 2 sub interfaces on the ethernet 0 interface....e0.10 and e0.20..... as you may have guessded they're going to be part of a VLAN lab

I hav ethe sub ints. configured with encaps. dot1q and set with ID of 10 and 20 respectively 9my VLANs will be 10 and 20

I also have set IP addresses to these sub interfaces on different subnets....192.168.2.1 and 192.168.3.1

have set no shutdown on both...

but they refuse to come up....

they're connected to a switch (e0 is technically connected) and e0 is showing up and fine

hav ei missed something blazingly obvious? or is this a lab problem

strange thing is, the switch can ping the sub interface....what's going on?

cheers guys

Hey outrunred,

I have exactly the same problem - did you ever figure out what it was ?

Adrian
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You should have a total of three sub interfaces and the one main one. The first one should be set for vlan 10, the second for vlan 20, and the last should be set for your native vlan with the extra 'native' added to the end of the encapsulation command. no-shut has to be applied to the main interface and then the protocols should come up.

I have a hunch you are missing the native vlan information.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • chXchX Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I doubt this is the issue, and I may be way off, but you mentioned the interface is ethernet 0?

I was under the impression you needed fastethernet or above to use the encapsulation dot1Q command on subinterfaces.

Unless I'm wrong, or the simulator doesn't care what type of interface it is?
    2019 Goals:
    [ ] Recertify CCNA
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    chX wrote: »
    I doubt this is the issue, and I may be way off, but you mentioned the interface is ethernet 0?

I was under the impression you needed fastethernet or above to use the encapsulation dot1Q command on subinterfaces.

Unless I'm wrong, or the simulator doesn't care what type of interface it is?

Good spotting! icon_thumright.gif If this doesn't make any difference, post your configs for router and switch.
  • MonkeyBoltMonkeyBolt Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wbosher wrote: »
    Good spotting! icon_thumright.gif If this doesn't make any difference, post your configs for router and switch.

That is correct, needs to be done on a fastethernet port. Should work fine then.
    Aston Villa FC
    Pride Of The Midlands

"Because you can read this thank a teacher, because it's in English thank a soldier"