Options

70-685 or 70-686 ?

Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
After passing 70-680 I can't decide which exam should I take next: 70-686 - has a lot of useful links in this site, but I can't find printed material to buy. About 70-685 I have no or little information to prepare from, but just found CBT Nuggets cd to buy. Also, comparing "skills measured" from MS webpage I'm leaning to 685, because from my perspective I know more about 685 than 686. Maybe someone took both exams and can compare them? I'm planning to pass both exams, but just ca't make up my mind which take first and which would be easier.
Or maybe I should take compTIA A+ exams? Till 2011-01-01? Because after this date you'll have to take them every 3 year... and only afterwards take 685?
My goal is to get certified in the areas I know, because for 3 years I'm working as a TechSupport and never thought about certification (stupid, I know). After failing my Master degree I have somehow to prove my literacy in IT field :)

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've taken neither but I'd probably advise you to take the exam which corresponds the most to what you have experience with as that one would be easier for you. Not many people, to my knowledge, on here have taken both tests as most people tend to take the test which will most benefit them in their work environment.
    There is a new book coming out July 20th Amazon.com: Windows 7 Desktop Support and Administration: Real World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond (Exams… which covers both exams.
    If you have looked at the skills measured and feel more comfortable with 70-685 then that would probably be the easiest one for you. I've personally looked at taking one of the 2 exams after I eventually, if at all, take the 70-680. I'm personally leaning toward the 686 as I feel it will benefit me more.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    It depends on your experience really and what your job is.
    The 686 is very deployment focused. If you have access to/or even use deployment services, image manager or are creating Windows 7 builds then the 686 will be of great use to you. If you are more on the desktop support side then go for the 685.

Don't get me wrong, if you feel happy about going for the 686 for extra knowledge and to learn how it all fits together, then by all means go for it. I guess it depends on what direction you want your career to go in, and where you feel you can progress to within your company or even another company for that matter.

Hope this helps.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm aiming for 685. As you mentioned 686 has a lot of stuff related with W7 deployment (some part of witch was in 680 exam) and at the moment I don't need that stuff. "Don't need" - means won't have possibility to use i near future.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Veritas Libertas just created a resource list for the 70-685 which may be useful.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.