How do you keep everything fresh?

spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
Since you've taken the CCNA, how do you keep yourself from losing information until you land a job in the field? I find myself losing some of it already just playing around with my home lab.

Comments

• down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    The same way a musician gets to Carnegie Hall... practice practice practice! There are plenty of sites out there that feature challenges, topologies, scenarios, etc. that you can throw into a test lab (physical, Dynamips, etc) to keep your skills fresh. A number of people also use the momentum from passing their CCENT/CCNA and apply it towards the pursuit of a Cisco professional series exam and further their mastery of concepts. Whatever you choose, make sure to regularly practice your skill-set.

One site (of many) to get you started:
    GNS3 Labs :: Cisco Router Simulator Network Labs & Topologies For CCENT, CCNA, CCNP & CCIE Candidates!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Yeah, I gotta agree on the momentum approach, complete the CCNA then get straight into the CCNP, thats what I did and I've not lost a bit of it. However I do work in the field, but even so, its definitely helped a lot.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Practice! :) I am sure it gets easier as time goes on, but for now just keep practicing!
    CCNP :study:
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you don't use it you lose it man. Keep up the reading and labbing. Sometimes I feel like I've forgotten so much, but it comes back to you pretty quick the next time around.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
    stuh84 wrote: »
    Yeah, I gotta agree on the momentum approach, complete the CCNA then get straight into the CCNP, thats what I did and I've not lost a bit of it. However I do work in the field, but even so, its definitely helped a lot.

Jump into the CCNP before even getting a network job?
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    if you've learned something at some point and then forgot it, when you are forced to revisit the material it generally is very easy to relearn, and takes a fraction of the time. Don't be too worried about losing it because you don't really lose it, you just kinda lose that top layer and you need to refresh a little bit.