Options

DNS lookups

burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
Hey all, I'm curious if there's a way to specify a dns server for a specific domain. Here's what I'd like to happen.

This will be used for at home connectivity. I'll be deploying a cisco 881 with a site to site dynamic vpn. What I would like to happen is for any request made to our corporate domain to go through the VPN and all non corporate domains to go through their ISP dns servers.

Comments

• Options
    tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey all, I'm curious if there's a way to specify a dns server for a specific domain. Here's what I'd like to happen.

This will be used for at home connectivity. I'll be deploying a cisco 881 with a site to site dynamic vpn. What I would like to happen is for any request made to our corporate domain to go through the VPN and all non corporate domains to go through their ISP dns servers.

Setup a local DNS server and then configure conditional forwarders to divert requests based on your needs. I am unsure the level of native support Cisco has for DNS (It appeared pretty limited in the CCNA and I haven't gotten to it in the CCNP stuff yet).

That would solve your problem, though it might not be what you were looking for.
  • Options
    tanix wrote: »
    Setup a local DNS server and then configure conditional forwarders to divert requests based on your needs. I am unsure the level of native support Cisco has for DNS (It appeared pretty limited in the CCNA and I haven't gotten to it in the CCNP stuff yet).

That would solve your problem, though it might not be what you were looking for.

No that's too much for a home user. I work in a call center and we're trying to get the workers to work at home. We'll provide a work PC and the router. The router handles all the QoS and VPN stuff.

Another way I thought of doing this is manually setting up the host files on the computers. That shouldn't be too big of a deal since there's only a few hosts they need to contact through the VPN.
  • Options
    No that's too much for a home user. I work in a call center and we're trying to get the workers to work at home. We'll provide a work PC and the router. The router handles all the QoS and VPN stuff.

Another way I thought of doing this is manually setting up the host files on the computers. That shouldn't be too big of a deal since there's only a few hosts they need to contact through the VPN.

*chuckle*

That would most certainly work and more appropriate for your setup. Your question just reminded me of a scenario in the MS exams and so I started think in "bigger" terms.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should be able to set up a split tunnel DNS. Your set up will depend on what type of device you are using of course. Its pretty simple on a 3000 concentrator, but I've never really messed around with it in the IOS.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Split DNS [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.4 T] - Cisco Systems

Here is some info on the IOS configuration of it. It seems pretty straight forward.
  • Options
    Well if anyone is curious I found this:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3064512

I gotta try to make sense of all those DNS configs but I think this should work well.

*EDIT*
    tanix wrote: »
    Split DNS [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.4 T] - Cisco Systems

Here is some info on the IOS configuration of it. It seems pretty straight forward.

Even better, thanks for the link.