Options

What should I do next?

rushdownrushdown Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Here is my situation:

I currently have Network+ and am planning on attaining Sec+ within the next 3 weeks.

I also am a senior in college and am majoring in computer science. I should be graduating in Fall 2011.

I've also got a secret clearance and military experience and some IT work experience as an intern at a government job.

My interests are (in order):
1. Security and Hacking
2. Project Management
3. Virtualization
4. Microsoft Technologies
5. Software Development (coding)

I have little to no interest in Cisco at the moment.

Here's what I think I might do:

Scenario 1: (the all security route)
-Finish college with Net+/Sec+ (if not, more certs)
-Hopefully, get a job working in cyber security or dealing with security someway, somehow so I can count this work experience towards getting Certified Ethical Hacker; CEH needs 2 years of documented security related work experience (I can skip this requirement if I take one of their classes, but that costs A LOT!)
-I also have to get ENSA b/c it's a prerequisite to CEH. (according to EC-Council)
-After I get Net+/Sec+ and ENSA, I'll just need 2 years of experience so I can get CEH.
-The cool thing is, all this experience, since it relates to security can count towards CISSP and then I'll get that next (CISSP needs 5 freakin' years of experience as a prerequisite!)
-Note: after CEH, I might learn about other stuff on the side to stay marketable

Scenario 2: (project management w/ some virtualization/Microsoft on the side)
-Finish college with Net+/Sec+/Project+
-Hopefully, get a job that deals with project management so I can count that experience towards a CAPM; CAPM needs I think 1,500 hours of prjct mngment experience.
-Keep getting more experience so I can get PMP one day. Since it takes so long (3 years for someone w/ a 4 year degree!), I might as well learn about virtualization or Microsoft to stay marketable.

Comments