Interface range command

HardDiskHardDisk Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Since time management is critical to passing a cisco exam how should one prepare to use the "Interface range" command.

It seems this command is specific to which device type/model/version you are using. I would hate to spend five minutes or more fussing with this command.

Switch(config)# interface range fastEthernet 0/1 - 3

Switch(config)# interface range fastEthernet 0/1 - fastEthernet 0/3

Your thoughts please.

Comments

• alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IIRC, the CCNA test is based on the 2960 switch, which does support interface range.

interface range FastEthernet0/1 - 15

interface range FastEthernet0/1 , 0/15
  • HardDiskHardDisk Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good information to know. thanks'
  • aR15aR15 Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    IIRC, the CCNA test is based on the 2960 switch, which does support interface range.

interface range FastEthernet0/1 - 15

interface range FastEthernet0/1 , 0/15

alan made a good point in the second part of his example for you as well.

if you have multiple ports (typically 5 separated ports are allowed at a time) that don't fall within a desired range, the comma (,) followed by the next port (i.e.: interface range fa0/1 - 3 , fa0/5 , fa0/6 - 9) allows you to jump around ports without having to go line by line or messing up your flow of range commands.

kudos to alan for bringing up this command tip once again.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    aR15 wrote: »
    alan made a good point in the second part of his example for you as well.

if you have multiple ports (typically 5 separated ports are allowed at a time) that don't fall within a desired range, the comma (,) followed by the next port (i.e.: interface range fa0/1 - 3 , fa0/5 , fa0/6 - 9) allows you to jump around ports without having to go line by line or messing up your flow of range commands.

kudos to alan for bringing up this command tip once again.

Just keep in mind that the comma doesn't work on every switch. It didn't work on the 2950's that I tried, but it did work on the 2960's. I brought it up since the CCNA is based on the 2960, but YMMV at home.
  • CGN_SpecCGN_Spec Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good job guys all of the above is very useful!