Options

Resume question

froufrou123froufrou123 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I intend to be a part time university student this fall while taking on a full time job. This one job requires highschool diploma with some certs that I have. Would it be helpful to state that I'm going to be a part time student or would it more likely make the employer think that my studies will interfere with my job duties?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd wait until you actually became a student to put it on there. I don't see why it would be a negative though. Bettering yourself is a good sign to employers I'd think.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    froufrou123froufrou123 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Actually I'm half way through my degree. I feel that some employers back off thinking that the employee might not be able to fully focus on his job duties while studying.
  • Options
    Actually I'm half way through my degree. I feel that some employers back off thinking that the employee might not be able to fully focus on his job duties while studying.

In that case put it on there. Most employers that are worth a crap will provide tuition assistance to help you continue your education. It only helps the company as long as you stay with them. So I don't see why it would be a negative.
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Isn't it a bad idea to state this on your resume? Same as "Working on 'x' certification"? From what I have read, it's best to list these partial accomplishments on a cover letter.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    fly351 wrote: »
    Isn't it a bad idea to state this on your resume? Same as "Working on 'x' certification"? From what I have read, it's best to list these partial accomplishments on a cover letter.

Thats all based on opinion. I put certs in progress on my resume and if I had a degree in progress I'd put that too. To each their own.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fly351 wrote: »
    In my experience it really varies by the employer. Some will like to see what you are working on, some don't care, and others will see it as a negative. Before I was done with school I had my education listed with the expected graduation date, and I feel it was typically helpful or at least not detrimental, and it was a problem only in a few instances (that I know of). I've never put a cert in progress, though.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV