book for CCENT

froufrou123froufrou123 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anybody tried Sybex CCENT study guide by Todd Lammle? Is it a good source to pass the exam?

Any other recommendations?

Comments

• drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    If you can afford it, get both the ODOM ICND1 book and the Lammle CCNA book. Together they will be more than enough as long as you lab it up. The practice questions that come with the Odom books are excellent.

Drew
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I picked one up off eBay so I'd have a 2nd book; figuring if I had trouble with the information as presented in one source, perhaps the other source would be easier to digest.

Personally I didn't care for it though, and ended up not even finishing it. I can't say the book is bad though; it probably just had to do with some conflict with how I read/learn and how he presented the material. (I found the occasional "and remember this thing I've never mentioned before" a bit irritating as I would flip back to try to find where he had covered this material I'm supposed to have remembered)

I've used Odom's Official Certification Guide books for both ICND1 and ICND2 and found them really excellent. Slightly dry but not horribly so, and definitely gives you all the information you need. The CBTNuggets videos are a good 'intro' to keep the information from being too overwhelming (I can't comment on the TrainSignal? videos as I've no experience with those).
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • zoo54924zoo54924 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree. Hands down for Odom's ICND1. Currently, using his ICND2 as study guide as well.
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    No offense to Lammle, but his books are "playful"... I used his CCNA book... I look at it like this. I buy a book to learn, not to joke around. One sentence said something along the lines of "Whats next? Miller time?" I mean really? I prefer more serious in-depth book. Maybe it will work for others, but I disliked it.
    CCNP :study:
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fly351 wrote: »
    No offense to Lammle, but his books are "playful"... I used his CCNA book... I look at it like this. I buy a book to learn, not to joke around. One sentence said something along the lines of "Whats next? Miller time?" I mean really? I prefer more serious in-depth book. Maybe it will work for others, but I disliked it.

I can't wait to hear your critique of Jeremy Cioara's videos. icon_lol.gif