What is the cheapest Cisco CCNA path to take?

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
I am taking my ICND1 next week and ICND2 2 months from now. I already studied the full CCNA, but just for me to fully understand the entire ICND2 I'm giving myself 2 more months for it.

Anyway after I pass the CCNA I am thinking to take CCNA Voice, Security, and Wireless, then move on to CCNP, but I need to start on the cheapest one, equipment wise.

I currently have 3x 2620, 1x 2620XM, 1x 2511, 5x WIC-1T, 2x 2950EI 12ports, 1x 2950 24 ports.
I know that I would need more equipment and what I have are not enough.
Which one of the three, wireless, security, voice, is the cheapest to start with.

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Rather than asking which is the cheapest, you should be asking yourself what you want to do. No point doing CCNA Voice, if you want to go down the security or wireless track.

Just my opinion, but I think you'd be better off specializing in one field.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I don't really want to be stuck in just one field to be honest. When I am going to renew my CCNA, I sure want to study a higher level. Why limit yourself if there is a better opportunity for the same amount of time.
    About which one I want, I would like to have all of them. I just want to see which is going to be the cheapest when choosing the equipment.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I (somewhat) agree, although I'll be doing both VoIP and security at the CCNA level. At CCNP level I'm just doing security I think though (sortof like a major/minor for school). Plus the CCNP itself of course.

Note all plans are subject to change :)

I've heard -security deals with SDM a lot, so I'm not sure how much 'extra' hardware would be needed beyond what you already have (since your 2620xm can handle sdm). VoIP would probably require IP phones, and wireless various ... wireless ... things.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    bermovick wrote: »
    VoIP would probably require IP phones

Don't forget Call Manager (or whatever it's called these days). I'm not sure how easy it is to get your hands on this.

There is a valid argument on both sides of the diversify vs specialize debate. Do you want to be really good at one thing, or pretty good at everything? I suppose that depends on what your employer wants.
    I am starting to realize that the security is the cheapest since I already have most of the stuff, just that damn SDM is really hard to launch. I am not sure if I need to buy a Cisco firewall for CCNA security.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    Yeah; sdm is a pain. See my last post here that may help; I did some investigation. It looks like you need specific versions of java, and current firefox versions (which is what I use) don't work with those versions of java.

Can you run the demo version?
    How do you run the demo version?
    I tried to unzip the datafile.zip into C:, but nothing happened. I also tried to put the datafile.zip file and I got the same output.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    demo version? sdm is a free download I think. It wasn't too hard to install.

No, what I meant was the demo thing that comes with SDM. Basically, it is kind of like an sim for SDM, I think.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thehourman wrote: »
    I am starting to realize that the security is the cheapest
    Yep -- 2 routers that support SDM and are running 12.4(9)T Advanced Security (or greater) for the Zone Based Firewall Support -- and a switch for the layer 2 security stuff. You can use Dynamips (with either Dynagen or GNS3 front end) in place of the real hardware.
    that damn SDM
    Amen -- you're preaching to the Choir
    is really hard to launch.
    Then be harder -- don't let Java & SDM push you around.
    I am not sure if I need to buy a Cisco firewall for CCNA security.
    No
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Yep -- 2 routers that support SDM and are running 12.4(9)T Advanced Security (or greater) for the Zone Based Firewall Support -- and a switch for the layer 2 security stuff. You can use Dynamips (with either Dynagen or GNS3 front end) in place of the real hardware.

Amen -- you're preaching to the Choir

Then be harder -- don't let Java & SDM push you around.

No
    Cool, Thanks Mike.
    Now, I am excited and can't wait to start.

What about the Wireless and Voice, which one is cheaper?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What about the Wireless and Voice, which one is cheaper?
    Wireless is cheaper -- but only because there's no way most people would spend 3-5K (US$) for the WLC2106s and WLC526 and APs and LWAPs. icon_lol.gif You'd just be memorizing the configurations.

I've seen UC520s go for over 1K (US$) on eBay -- but you can get a 1760 for around $100 with 4.x CME installed. Toss in some IP Phones and maybe a couple analog VICs and you probably have enough to pass the CCNA:Voice while spending less than $300 on hardware.

And for the CCNA:Security -- Dynamips can be used to replace the routers -- you'd still want at least a real 2950 for layer 2 lab practice.

You can run CME on a Dynamips router and even use softphones -- but you miss out on the analog and digital voice interface configurations and some other features.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!