can't copy run start

jeff113jeff113 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
i don't know what i'm doing wrong. I'm just starting to get hands on experience with a lab i'm putting together. On my switches or router is get
jeff#copy run start
Destination filename [startup-config]? y
%Error copying nvram:y (Invalid argument)

what am I doing wrong

Comments

• bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Note it's not asking you to verify you want to write the startup-config, it's asking what you for the destination filename (startup-config is default). You're telling it to save as 'y'.

I'm not sure if that'll fix it, but it may.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    bermovick wrote: »
    Note it's not asking you to verify you want to write the startup-config, it's asking what you for the destination filename (startup-config is default). You're telling it to save as 'y'.

I'm not sure if that'll fix it, but it may.

Correct. When it asks you Destination filename [startup-config]? just hit enter. Don't type anything here.

You can also use wr instead of copy run start, it's much easier. Don't know if the exam will accept that though.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    wbosher wrote: »
    Correct. When it asks you Destination filename [startup-config]? just hit enter. Don't type anything here.

You can also use wr instead of copy run start, it's much easier. Don't know if the exam will accept that though.

Yeah I hear wr (write memory) is going away. But it works for now!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • jeff113jeff113 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    that was really easy; just hit enter.. i keep thinking it was asking for a confirmation and that's why i keep putting y.. thanks
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    That's a very common mistake, force of habit to answer y/n to things. You won't be the last one to do it :)
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jeff113 wrote: »
    that was really easy; just hit enter.. i keep thinking it was asking for a confirmation and that's why i keep putting y.. thanks

Yeah, MOST of the time (sometimes it will actually be giving you options, but it will say y/n or similar in those cases) what is inside the [example] is the default input for if you just press return.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    I will rue the day when they take away wr!
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    if they do take it away completely just use an alias like
    router(config)# alias exec wr copy run start
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    configuration standards prevent me from customizing devices how I'd like them :\
  • aR15aR15 Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    johnwest43 wrote: »
    if they do take it away completely just use an alias like
    router(config)# alias exec wr copy run start

lol, was thinking the same thing..
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    wbosher wrote: »

feel free to use wr irl but not in the exam! Cisco methods teach "copy run-start" and thats what they will expect you to know.
    I don't know if that's the official line but it's always the rule I've followed. I'd hate to lose marks for using a wrong command despite they do the same thing.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    "write memory" was at one point listed as being deprecated in the IOS documentation. However, Cisco around the time of 12.4 changed their mind and it is no longer listed as deprecated. Either way, I'd learn the new style of "copy running-config startup-config" anyway. Setting up aliases just means you'll have to put those aliases into every device if the command really does disappear in the future.
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    I supposed that for the sake of an extra second or two, it would be best to get in to the habit of using the "official" copy run start instead of wr.

It's not like it's a huge hassle, you wouldn't use that command often anyway.
  • TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    copy run start is good to get the hang of as it's how mostly all the copy commands are done. for example copy flash tftp, copy nvram tftp etc etc