Options

Just a few questions...

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am considering getting my A+, I have all but really decided on a book to use. I have heard about the Myers reference, but I don't know if there is something a little more condensed, but has the same level of content necessary to pass the exam?

I have been working with PC's for a few years, took the classes back at the community college a few years ago, and work with the stuff everyday. However I have come to a path in life where I want to make myself more marketable and utilize the certification for logo's on business cards and flyers and give my own business a run (maybe), and use for further certifications (pathway to MCSA). So I don't need everything in laymans' terms... I just need to know the material I should memorize and maybe some newer technology.

I am trying to avoid reading 900 some pages, and really don't need to. So is there a book, flash cards or question/answer reference anyone would reccommend? I just want to print out the objectives and bang out the exams ASAP, and don't need in depth coverage of the exam topics or labs.

Thanks!
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've heard the ExamCram book is actually quite good while studying for the exam especially if you already know your stuff.
    As far as doing it on your own as a business, unless you are doing it as a sideline to another job you're not likely to make enough to live on. There's just too much competition out there and a lot of PC repair jobs I've come across lately have turned into nightmares where the customer wants it fixed on the cheap. Any major repairs you do anymore will sometimes cost so much for the repair that a new more powerful PC would be cheaper than a repair.
    Just my $.02
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unfortunately I can't advise you on a book. I didn't use one.

For A+, I had an extensive amount of prior knowledge. So I just sat down with transcender. I found that my knowledge of printers, specifically laser, was not up to par. So I did some additional research to fill in those gaps.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mike Myer's books are good solid reads, can't go wrong with them.
  • Options
    fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just picked up ExamCram book. If I don't know something or find a weakness I will google something on the subject.

Both books were side by side when I got it... I actually had Mike Myers book in hand, standing in line. It just didn't feel right to me though, so I headed back and got the ExamCram book instead.

If I can't answer the questions in the book and maintain a high 80's to 90% correct, I might think about getting the Myers book or google some of the topics. I briefly read some of the questions (ExamCram) and though I got a couple wrong it's clear to me that I just need to brush up some details.

Maybe I can knock both test out in a 6 weeks or so... stay tuned! icon_study.gif
    WIP:
    Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
    Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□