can't ping my switch

jeff113jeff113 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
I want to upgrade the ios of my 2950.. Ok i have console into it and configured a ip address but i'm unable to ping it. I'm using a usb to serial adaptor.. I just don't know what i'm doing wrong. i configured the ip address 192.168.2.10 and default gateway as .9.. my laps ip address is coming from my dell wireless router which is giving me the ip address of .4

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    You configured the vlan with an IP, did you make sure to enable the vlan by using no shutdown?

Are any ports assigned to the vlan you assigned an IP to?

Is .9 your router's IP?
    From the switch, can you ping your gateway?
  • jeff113jeff113 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i was plugged in the wrong switch
    umm i can telnet into it but from the switch i can't ping the gateway
    Your gateway is incorrect then. Ensure you are using the correct gateway for the subnet you are using.
    should the gateway on my pc and router be the same. i have them both configured with 192.168.2.9 255.255.255.0
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    jeff113 wrote: »
    should the gateway on my pc and router be the same. i have them both configured with 192.168.2.9 255.255.255.0

The subnet mask should be the same, but you can't have the same two IP addresses on your network. If you PCs IP address is 192.168.2.9 /24, then the default gateway could be 192.168.2.1 /24 (the /24 is the same as 255.255.255.0).

All IP addresses in the subnet must be 192.168.2.xx or there will be a conflict and it just won't work. Hope this is helpful.
    no they do have different ip address and the same subnet
    Post your switch's config, as well as a list of IPs you are using...

i.e. Laptop, Switch, Router....
  • danb83danb83 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I want to upgrade the ios of my 2950.. Ok i have console into it and configured a ip address but i'm unable to ping it. I'm using a usb to serial adaptor.. I just don't know what i'm doing wrong. i configured the ip address 192.168.2.10 and default gateway as .9.. my laps ip address is coming from my dell wireless router which is giving me the ip address of .4

Obvious question here, but do you have a network cable connected as well as a console cable?

I made this mistake when I first started using Cisco equipment.
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    umm i can telnet into it

You have the required connectivity to do the upgrade so.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
    I tryed to just plug into one of the ports on the router as well and from my laptop i was able to telnet into it but after i telnet into it i still can't ping the gateway or my laptop. i know it's something simple i'm doing wrong but i just don't have enough experiense to know what it is.
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    What is plugged onto what? If your laptop is plugged into the switch via network cable can you ping the switch? If so, and you still can't ping your gateway, check the IP address and subnet of the gateway.

Make sure all devices are in the same subnet, and all interfaces are up/up. Have you checked all the cables are ok? Work through it logically from your laptop to the switch then to the router.

Take it one step at a time, you'll get it. Break it down into sections, if you can ping one device, then move on to the next one.

You're right in that it probably is something really simple staring you in the face.