Options

sources for used routers

albin1e4albin1e4 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've read numerous threads and the TechLabs sticky and I am ready to purchase 2 2501 routers. Any recommendations for sources (other than eBay). I'm comparison shopping. One of the sites I am looking at is www.usedrouter.com. Any experience or thoughts from the forum?

Regarding eBay ... I'd appreciate any feedback concerning product failures after just a few months or maybe wear and tear that wasn't evident on the eBay picture. I want this equipment to last beyond my CCNA studies. Thanks.

One more site ... any experience with www.allthis.com. They sell various lab setups for the different certifications.

Brian

Comments

• Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    To be honest Ive been buying and selling routers on ebay for a while and only encountered a few problems. buying away from ebay can be a lot more expensive. a few tips for buying on ebay

1. Look for sellers with goodfeedback and who are regular sellers
    2. Check that they offer a non DOA guarantee a lot of them do
    3. Check they offer a returns policy most of the reputable sellers do
    4. Ask for them to produce and ouptut ie Show Version and check that its good spec ie good Dram, 8 flash and 26 dram is the min these days
    5. If the ram is low etc and you still want to buy check that the boot rom is version 9.14(6) or highes, the reason is that older version on support 4mb Flash simms! so a max of 8MB Dram.
    6. Check what they have bought and sell in their feedback history, I found this out becuase I found what looked like a real good deal on a router, however he had got it from another guy left bad feedback about it not working then trying to resell it again as working!

Just spend a little time and do some reaserch and you can find some good routers on ebay.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    I'm very close to using the eBay Buy Now option to get a lab from ChipSet Technologies. Any quick thoughts on this company.

Brian
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Try looking at this topic and ask any of these guys if how the got on

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6268
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    albin1e4 wrote:
    I'm very close to using the eBay Buy Now option to get a lab from ChipSet Technologies. Any quick thoughts on this company.

Brian

I've been looking for over a month at different router sellers. I ruled out ChipSet because his price is TOO HIGH. Here are a couple of links that i've been looking at to buy routers. They have the lastest IOS with Firewall and IPsec and are running 16/16 on the memory. The price isn't that bad. Both of these websites use ebay to sell there stuff as well.

http://www.virtualrack.net/

http://www.ciscokits.com/

I'm going to buy at the end of the month and right now I'm leaning towards ciscokits.com because he offers extras with his kits.

Best of luck with your search,

Keith
  • Options
    I found a dual 2507 kit that seems very reasonable. The 2507s have a built-in hub and require no transceiver yet are priced about the same as a 2501 and cheaper than a 2503.

From what I've read they will work very well for CCNA, but I'm seeking any fresh input. Thanks.

p.s.
    Thanks for everyone's input. I know my question is similar to many others posted, but I had/have a few minor issues to resolve before shelling out the bucks.

Brian
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    albin1e4 wrote:
    I found a dual 2507 kit that seems very reasonable. The 2507s have a built-in hub and require no transceiver yet are priced about the same as a 2501 and cheaper than a 2503.

I've worked on a 2507 in class and it is a neat unit. I only did just some basic configurations on it. So, I can't tell you much about it but if you read this thread it does talk about the 2507 and some of the things it can do. You have to scroll down the post to find the information on the 2507.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3349

Keith
  • Options
    NocturnalNocturnal Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've gotten good practice at password recovery icon_lol.gif

I guess it depends if you want to buy a package or not. I'm setting up a lab piecemeal...I'm just working on CCNA right now, so I'm not in too much of a hurry.

I picked up a 2524 a few months ago for about 160 bucks...it's missing one of the covers for the blank expansion slots, but I'm going to be getting a 5in1 wic for it soon anyway. I've seen those for $30 plus $10 or so shipping. . The IOS is lame...11.0, but I figure I can pull a newer version off of one of the routers I just got last week:

I ordered a set of three, two 2501s with transceivers and a 2620. They came with v.35 dte cables...big whoopiedoo on that because I can get crossover cables for less than dce cables. The guy didn't include power cords, so I had to order some

The 2500 series routers I got could use memory upgrades, but memory is pretty cheap, and I figure taking these things apart and sliding memory modules in could be a useful experience and probably a lot easier than trying to get around IDE cables.

BTW, I've bought computer and printer RAM off Ebay and haven't had a problem

I bought a 1912 switch last year and I need a 2950 now since they've changed the ccna exam...those are spendy.

I've seen 19" racks for under $100 including shipping.

That's my experience with Ebay in a nutshell. Best of luck!!
    "...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right,..."
    --Tom Paine
  • Options
    Am I wasting my money / time in buying a 1912 switch? I was under the impression that a 2950 was not a critical purchase for CCNA.

Brian
  • Options
    XCommandXCommand Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just don't spend too much on routers.Wait/Search good.I'm sure with 1 month waiting/searching you can find pretty cheap stuff at ebay.You'll feel pitty if you'll see same models going cheaper after you buy one.So wait and catch a cheap one.
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 2520 is often overlooked. You can get them cheap.

2 Sync serial
    2 Async serial
    1 10BaseT (No transceiver necessary)
    1 ISDN BRI S/T interface.

I bought 2 2520s max flash+dram, 2 RS232 DCE - DB60 DTE cables, two modems, and a telephone simulator. All for less than 170 bucks. If you have two usable telephone lines at your house then you do not need the simulator.

I was able to do backup interfaces, dialer profiles (rotary and dialer), PPP, snapshot routing, OSPF demand routing. It is very good for many of the remote access labs.

Another benefit is 4 serial interfaces. You can set up the two Async interfaces as synchronous and run it as a frame-switch. You can only get 115K out of the low speed interfaces but that is a perfect speed for testing out QOS configurations.