Terminal Services in the real world

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
How many people on here use Terminal services in your organization?
What do you use it for?
Do you utilize TS Gateway and if you do do you also use ISA with it?
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    We don't really use gateway but a few clients use TS for business apps.

Its mostly to sandbox the app so there is one place for it to be updated and doesnt get wrecked by users. Works well, but you've got to have lots of ram for it.

I'm trying to push for RemoteApp once some of these places move to 2008.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Where I work we mostly use a citrix enviornment, but some of the employees over in India use terminal services.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm just wondering how much of this gets used in the workplace. TS is 32% of the 642 exam and I'll be done studying that area by this weekend. I thought it would be harder to understand than it is.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Small Businesses will tends to leverage this type of technology to replace a full fledge vpn or compliment an existing one. In addition to expense it can allow the enterprise limit risk when field sales types take laptops out of the office and various othe scenarios.

The gateway isnt terribly dificult to setup. If hosted web and dns are in use the NAT can be set up with either the service provider or at the firewall to resolve the internal resource, much like public to private smtp.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    earweed wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how much of this gets used in the workplace. TS is 32% of the 642 exam and I'll be done studying that area by this weekend. I thought it would be harder to understand than it is.

Yeah it seemed that way for me too, until i took the test ;)
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    All I've done so far is read the MS Book, take notes, and do the labs. I'm still going to listen to the webcasts on the CD, do IT Academy, and read the associated Sybex chapters (and do more notes). Then do some more labbing as the MS Press book labs are really simplified and I need more hands on.
    I have Saturday and Sunday free to work on it. Work tonight, interview tomorrow, work tomorrow night, and a client to see Friday afternoon.
  • texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
    Every company I have worked for and even my current company uses Citrix aside from using RDP to remote into servers for maintenance .
  • LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We use TS at work for business apps. We don't use it for remote access though, for that we have a VPN. We have around 25 thin clients and 100 fat clients accessing Terminal Services every day. Because of the so-so load balancing with 2003, our plan is to migrate to 2008 and implement RemoteApp.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    We have several clients that use TS. Some places are connected via thin clients while others it was deemed as a way of avoiding upgrading all the computers. No particularly impressive setups here though.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/