At a crossroads

johngriffjohngriff Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a chance to either take network+ and security+ or the ccna which would be the most marketable out the gate? and does and one know what job title net+ with sec+ would fall under

Comments

• subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Net+ is like the CCNA but simpler. Both of these would fall under Network Administrator type job.

Security+ is more for network security. This would be more of a Network Security type job.

IMO, I think CCNA has more weight than Net+ and Sec+. Sec+ is a good cert at the moment though too, I just think the CCNA is a bit tougher than the CompTIA certs.

If I were you, I'd tackle the CompTIA certs and become certified for life. Then work your way up to a CCNA. Many people fail the CCNA the first time.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA certs are good for base knowledge. They are vendor neutral, so they set you up to work in any type of enviornment, and the wordings of questions is just easier. They ask point blank questions to determine if you know stuff.

It all depends on where you want to go. If you're not sure if you are ever going to want network+ or security+, get them now to be safe. After 2010, when you get certified it will only be for 3 years. So you might as well just do it now and be good forever.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to TE!
    If you're looking for marketability then the CCNA holds more weight. Are you already employed in IT? If you are then it's dependent upon the type of job you have and what you want to do further down the road.
    The CCNA is way harder than either the Net+ or the Sec+ and the Net+ frankly holds little weight in helping you get a job. Any government job you may try to get will probably require you to have the Sec+.
    If you're not employed in IT yet then most employers look for your basic certs for entry level (Like the A+) and then dependent upon what type of job you're looking for you'd get a vendor specific cert to go along with it. If you want to get into networking then the CCNA is your best bet but it's not easy.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • johngriffjohngriff Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Welcome to TE!
    If you're looking for marketability then the CCNA holds more weight. Are you already employed in IT? If you are then it's dependent upon the type of job you have and what you want to do further down the road.
    The CCNA is way harder than either the Net+ or the Sec+ and the Net+ frankly holds little weight in helping you get a job. Any government job you may try to get will probably require you to have the Sec+.
    If you're not employed in IT yet then most employers look for your basic certs for entry level (Like the A+) and then dependent upon what type of job you're looking for you'd get a vendor specific cert to go along with it. If you want to get into networking then the CCNA is your best bet but it's not easy.

thank you m not currently employed in IT field but have IT experience just tried on being the ground level grunt
  • Howling MonkeyHowling Monkey Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My personal goal is Networking, and I currently working in IT and work with end users and servers. Since my manager is a Software guy and knows nothing of networking, he lets me do and learn what ever I want. Kinda sucks he makes twice as much as I do, but I'm thankful for being in a position to learn and get paid for it.

The plan:
    Currently working on CCNA, been studding with CBTNuggests/CCNA. Started building my own lab for the test.

After I get done with CCNA, I'm going to do Networking+ and Server+ (pad the resume), before starting CCNP.

Do your research, make a plan of attack, and hit it hard my friend.
    This is the end and the beginning
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    After I get done with CCNA, I'm going to do Networking+ and Server+ (pad the resume), before starting CCNP.
    Why not network+ first? It is far easier, and at least if you get it first you will set yourself up for the CCNA. I don't see much of a point to hit it afterwords.

Going along with my previous point, CompTIA's new renewal policy goes into effect next year. If you do net+ and sec+ this year, they are good for life. If you wait until next year, they will expire every 3 years. To me it just makes more sense to get a lifelong cert. CCNA will expire on you either way.
    Decide what to be and go be it.