Options

Cisco Nexus

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Has anyone used the nexus switches before? I'm not sure I understand fully the concept of using them other then the greater speeds they provide in the data center. Is the IOS the same?

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    The OS is not the same at all, it's NX-OS, which is built on Linux. There are some decent articles around, basically they're the new hotness for data center. They have some features that the 6500s don't have (yet?). They will be getting features soon that I don't think any other platform will have in the near future (OTV, L2MP, etc).

Do some reading. I'll see if I can find some articles. If you can grab some of the Cisco Live Nexus presentations, do it, they're a wealth of information.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We just put our new Nexus 7000 in the data center not even two months ago. The thing is an absolute beast.
  • Options
    tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    Nexus equipment is really for large datacenters and a major plus if spanning tree is an issue. I've built out a few Datacenters within the past few months with Nexus gear. The last Datacenter I built consisted of 2 7010s along with a few Nexus 5020s and the 2148 FEXs (Fabric Extenders). It is truly fun working with Nexus gear and you will love it once you start working with it. I usually pair up either 2 7010s or 2 7018s with vPC. Virtual port channeling is an excellent feature with the Nexus and I like the option of enabling other features only when needed. For example you can use the command "feature ospf" to enable the OSPF routing protocol. The command syntax is similar to IOS but different if that makes any sense. For example if you want to configure HSRP it is no longer the "standby" command. You would still configure something like "interface vlan10" and "ip address x.x.x.x" but then for HSRP it is a different syntax. You would configure something like:

interface vlan10
    ip address 192.168.10.2/24
    hsrp 10
    ip 192.168.10.1
    priority 100
    preempt

I also love the fact that you can use CIDR syntax when configuring IP addresses or if you configure a static route. Instead of the old crappy way of "ip address 192.168.10.2 255.255.255.0" you just configure "ip address 192.168.10.2/24"