Options

i really need help!

waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
hello all,

Heres my situation, i have an offer for a position which i accepted. That’s great, but tomorrow i have a mid yr review at my current job. I was planning on giving my notice Monday. Holly crap i don’t know what to say. what should i say, i dont want to burn any bridges so please don’t advise me to ask for more money so that i'll stay, i don’t want to be on the next list of layoffs if you know what i mean. So should i be frank with him and admit I’m looking around, or just go through it like everything is great and Monday hit him with a resignation letter, not sure that’s a good option. Please advise.
when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I let them know when they need to know. That simple. I write up two week notice and then hand it to them 2 weeks prior, I won't tell them a day early. So my answer is to go to your review and handle it like normal, then on Monday turn in your notice.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    If you have an offer of a new job, what's the problem ?

Is it in the same company ?

Grats on the new job by the way.
    Kam.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    waltdee wrote: »
    hello all,

Heres my situation, i have an offer for a position which i accepted. That’s great, but tomorrow i have a mid yr review at my current job. I was planning on giving my notice Monday. Holly crap i don’t know what to say. what should i say, i dont want to burn any bridges so please don’t advise me to ask for more money so that i'll stay, i don’t want to be on the next list of layoffs if you know what i mean. So should i be frank with him and admit I’m looking around, or just go through it like everything is great and Monday hit him with a resignation letter, not sure that’s a good option. Please advise.

I would let him know of your existing offer and your intention to submit a resignation.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    If you have an offer of a new job, what's the problem ?

Is it in the same company ?

Grats on the new job by the way.

Nope, somewhere else.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    phantasm wrote: »
    I let them know when they need to know. That simple. I write up two week notice and then hand it to them 2 weeks prior, I won't tell them a day early. So my answer is to go to your review and handle it like normal, then on Monday turn in your notice.

+1

Don't say anything until you have signed that new offer and have a hard starting date. You never know stuff might fall through for some reason and you are stuck with no job at all.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    +1

Don't say anything until you have signed that new offer and have a hard starting date. You never know stuff might fall through for some reason and you are stuck with no job at all.

I agree with that, because friday i have scheduled to fill out paperwork for the new place, i would die if i told something tomorrow, then friday i hear "sorry, but this position wont work out" and i'm left with no job
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Awesome. How many times in your career are you going to have the opportunity to tell your boss you're taking a new job on the day of your performance evaluation? If you are 100% certain you have all your ducks lined up in a row at the new job, don't miss out on this opportunity. :)

"Yeah, my boss came in talking about how I'm getting a 2% raise this year and I should be happy I'm getting anything at all. I told him I'm taking a position elsewhere with a 20% raise".
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    waltdee wrote: »
    I agree with that, because friday i have scheduled to fill out paperwork for the new place, i would die if i told something tomorrow, then friday i hear "sorry, but this position wont work out" and i'm left with no job

Well, in this case I'd probably wait. Also, the fact that you are anticipating another round of layoffs at your employer is good enough reason to want to move on. glll
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I still had my work study job, one of the professors was upset over some stuff the students did, and he was taking it out on me. Rattling off a dozen or so things that I was going to have to do to ensure it doesn't happen again. I just nodded and smiled and was thinking, "I'm not going to do any of that stuff." After the class was over, I stepped into his office and let him know that I had been offered (and accepted) a position.

Sure enough, I spent my last two weeks working to transition management of the lab to someone else, and didn't do any of it. I don't have any idea what happened.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    hmm, not sure what to do, i guess i'll have to figure this one out on my own. Please feel free to reply with all your advise. Thank you all
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You have to look out for yourself first man. No one else is going to.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

I second this. (I've actually used the same quote before.) Don't burn a bridge if you don't have to, but don't sit in an underpaid, dead end, boring job because you are too afraid to tell your boss that you want to leave.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995

Big plus 1. Corporate America does not care about you. Do what you have to do to survive.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Go into your review as if you had no offer at all. Use that time to get constructive feedback from him that won't be biased by him knowing that your time there is soon to end. It can help you understand what may be a weak point so that you can address it as you are starting this new job and position yourself to be the best employee they could want. Mostly because if something does fall through, your boss doesn't already know that you nearly had another job nd won't be looking to put you on the chopping block. Times are bad enough to not want to be unemployed and looking for another. Once everything is official, put in your notice as you planned on Monday.
  • Options
    SunnyRainSunnyRain Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in a sort of similar situation as far as being unhappy with where I am and looking to go into something else, but nowhere near as far along as you with actually having something lined up. Upon transferring into a new department in a manufacturing facility earlier this year, our plant manager told me I would be trained and promoted to higher positions until I ultimately reached the position of supervisor for my department.
    It has been several months and I have not been trained any further positions than the starting position I held back in Jan. They've been ridiculously under-staffed and currently have an incompetent foreman who would rather sit in the office and read paperbacks in the AC while asserting her authority with verbal remarks like "I'm the boss and you will do as I say". Just the other day she lashed out at a few guys who were behind in production with "WHY THE F*#% ARE YOU BEHIND TWO HOURS??" (when she likely could have known the answer to that had she been out on the floor working with and observing her subordinates).
    It is very frustrating to work in this environment, and this has only fueled my determination to pursue a higher education and get the heck out of there. In spite of my plant manager's remarks earlier this year, I relish the opportunity to provide them with a two week notice and a brief explanation as to why I decided to pursue something else.
    To answer your question: I would do as others have suggested in waiting until after you land the other job before formally informing your employer of intentions to leave, or of informing them that you are currently looking for something else. Even with an imminent performance review which included discussing a potential promotion - I would play my cards close to the vest, as I know they do the same when it comes to communications of various things which may or may not involve me. At the end of the day, if and when you do land that other job and hand over your resignation, you can always tell them the truth after the fact. Surely they will understand that you wanted to wait until it was a sure bet before moving forward with severing employment with them, either on a tentative or definite basis.
  • Options
    KikodeKikode Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The company will do the same in your regards as well. It is muh easier for the company to replace a worker then it is for you to find a new position. Your best bet is to give a two week notice. Any less then that will be viewed as rude but explaining the situation is the key to keeping them happy. Wait until the other Job is secure before communicating with management first. Most employers will i fact offer you a raise when you put in your notice. Especially your main boss if he sees the hustle first hand. A large part of moving up in the IT field is knowing when to climb the ladder in the company you are at and when to migrate to a different company.