Options

Help with Linux Desktop Config and User mappings

tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
Was wondering if anybody knows what is the desktop configuration file Linux uses. What I mean is I have an application that runs off RHEL that hosts combat simulations to redhat desktop clients. The application runs off the server and launches the sims on the clients where they can take part in the war games.

The software creates profiles for each of the users on the servers. The clients use generic accounts hosted on the server.

Work wants them off LDAP for authentication and moving them to Active Directory which works ok. What I wondering is this. The software creates the local accounts which if you log in with it you get a wallpaper for the software, and the panel has shortcuts to the applications you need. Now their home directories mount fine with NFS mounts on the server but their desktops are the generic Redhat desktop no panel shortcuts. Is there a conf file I need to look at that the software creates that gives this standard desktop layout?

Also for security reasons I need to also do away with anybody using the generic accounts created by the software. So I need to map each user to a Windows account to the accounts on the machine. I am thinking I just need to map each Windows users account to a specific "generic" account and give permissions to that particular home directory only.