VWIC-2FXO
VWIC-1MFT-T1
CUCM 8 HP server
1x 7970
1x 3550 PWR SMI
2x Third-Party SIP phones
2x H.323 Hard & Softphones (for fun?)
IP Communicator
Avaya Definity PBX with 24 analog, 3x T1 (the PSTN -- pretty old-school awesome and expandable to hundreds of phones & 30 T1/E1)
66 Blocks, Tools, Etc.

Still need:
FXS VWICs
28xx (?) for CME
7940/7960's
PVDMs
Unity Express (?)

Can't decide if i should start with CVoice or CIPT 1...thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What about CCNA:Voice? I know you don't have to but why not start there?
  • Options
    tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe the recommended order is:
    CVoice
    CIPT1
    CIPT2
    TUC

And just throw QoS anywhere you want.
    Having taken both CVoice and CIPT1 now, I can't say I'd strongly recommend that order, but it does help. Depending on background you could jump right to CIPT1 without any problems.

As far as CCNA:Voice, the CVoice exam will give you the CCNA Voice cert, but I believe the alternate test covers the UCS500s for SOHO type environments. Could be mistaken on that, I know the CVoice didn't really even mention them.
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depending on your level of Cisco voice knowledge really determines if you wish to add CCNA-Voice to the list. It's not essential, but is a good primer and gives you a good basic CUCME environment to test all the voice gateway elements of CVoice in.

Though I'm still working on CIPT1, I'd agree with tmlerdal's order. QoS seems to fit anywhere. Cvoice is also theory intensive, and CIPT1 is a lot more practical.

You wont need 28xx for CUCME, 1760's do that easily although limit you to v4.1. CUE I'd classify as a luxury, I bought one, but it's hardly been used. If you can, set up a Cisco router to simulate E1/T1 PSTN. It's extra effort, but what you learn from it is well worth it.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    I'd make sure you've covered QoS before TUC.

If you dont envisage dealing with SoHo then I'd possibly skip CCNA-V depending on your background. It's still a nice intro to voice tho. CVoice can be a little heavy going if you don't have much voice experience.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Since you’ve been through the NP, why not go with the QoS test first? It’ll be the least foreign of the 5 for sure (and builds off of ONT nicely if you went the old route).

I also agree with looking into the IIUC CCNA Voice exam if you don’t have extensive experience with call manager express.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to skip the IIUC exam, but I'm going to read Jeremy's book. I think I'm going to put QoS off until second-to-last because QoS isn't exciting (it is, but it doesnt make phones ring :) )