Options

Novell to MS migration

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've just been blessed with a Novell/Groupwise to AD/Exchange 2007 migration even though I have had 0x exposure to Novell. Never even seen it on a monitor.

Am I screwed? More importantly, any recommendations for tutorials/tools? As usual, it'll be done on the cheap so no use of Quest.

So far, there's no details of versions or what is actually to be migrated. A quick Google indicates that migrating to Server 2008 isn't supported. Any help will result in good Kharma, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have also never seen Novell, but check this out. I have had it bookmarked for a while. Good luck to you, it sure would be a good learning experience.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    You can migrate from Novell to Server 2003 AD. You can install 2008 domain controllers later once you get the red out. I would migrate the user accounts first and then worry about email.
    What Is Services for Netware: Services for NetWare
    Migrating File, Print, and Directory Services from Novell NetWare to Windows Server 2003

I have always used Quest when migrating from GroupWise, so no Quest makes this more challenging. Since there is no GroupWise connector in Exchange 2007 (and no third party connectors at all in Exchange 2010), you will have to install Exchange 2003 first before you migrate to a later version.
    GroupWise to Exchange 2007 - Interoperability and Migration (Part 1)
    Introduction to Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 GroupWise Connector
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am leary of using tools designed for Windows 2000, with Windows 2003 and Excange 2003... in case I need support. Or to put it another way... if a client came to me (and they have), and they want to migrate... they get quest.

Oh, and as an odd comment... their software isn't that expensive if you can get around the need for professional services.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    Thanks for the info; we already have AD2008 (svr03 domain mode) and Exchange 2007 in place. Logistics are going to be complicated.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    I've just been blessed with a Novell/Groupwise to AD/Exchange 2007 migration even though I have had 0x exposure to Novell. Never even seen it on a monitor.

Am I screwed? More importantly, any recommendations for tutorials/tools? As usual, it'll be done on the cheap so no use of Quest.

So far, there's no details of versions or what is actually to be migrated. A quick Google indicates that migrating to Server 2008 isn't supported. Any help will result in good Kharma, thanks.

You are screwed if you dont go about the project in the right way. Google is a poor tool for migration and design work Im afraid. But there is hope for you. It really depends on how you approach this. Firstly there is a good 'footprint' of migrations done worldwide for Novell - MS and so plenty of information and whitepapers out there. This sort of work kept trainers, consultants and IT departments pretty busy circa 1997 - 2004

The option mentioned earlier in the thread of setting up a prior version of Exchange to migrate Groupwise to seems a good one as earlier versions have better tools for portability between Novell and Microsoft. You can look to upgrade your MS servers to the latest version once you have everyone over properly.

A Novell to MS migration is challenging and often ran into problems back in the day when it was attempted by people who didn't have background in both camps.

The first thing to do is to audit what for you is the darkside (Novell). Understand the number of netware servers and the netware version running, the same for groupwise. You then need to ramp up your awareness of the various management tools to run a Netware server and groupwise and how to use them carefully. You will also need to understand how NDS or edirectory hangs together.

So already you have a number of challenges there. The first thing you should do is explain to your boss that this is a significant piece of work and will take some time to plan and prepare. I would also advise that you recommend you receive some external consultancy help with a CNE.

In terms of helping yourself, once you know the Netware version I would invest in materials to obtain the CNA qualification and put some significant time in with them on works time before getting aquainted with your Novell servers and exploring your NDS/eDirectory configuration. The Novell self study kits are good for that and are available on the Novell website.

Also go on the Novell support forums on the Novell website. There are some knowledgable people there who will give you valuable advice.

Similarly plunder the MS website and the Novell website for any whitepapers you can find that cover migration approaches.

My final word of caution.

You want to be doing the migration in the least invasive way possible. Do not rush to move email services or file and print services across from Novell to Microsoft. Get very familiar with both platforms before doing anything. Do not make changes early on, and do not run any migration tools early on.

There is no one size fits all for a migration. It depends on what you are working with. If the Novell environment has many users with different connectivity needs that are presently provided by Netware then you need to think about how you can make sure the MS environment will provide the same level of services and access. If you plan on migrating users over in a phased way then you have to think about how those new MS users will be able to workgroup with the users temporarily left on Novell. Sometimes it is a case of audit the user accounts on Novell and the file permissions and printers..migrate the accounts database to the MS domain controller..backup files on the Novell Server..add the files to the MS file server..create login scripts for the new MS users to map drives to the new shares....set up network printers..backup groupwise mailboxes..create new mailboxes on exchange..restore groupwise mail to exchange.

But sometimes things are not that simple. In the Novell users are not going to be given new email addresses on Exchange and wish to keep what they presently use then you may well need to make some changes so that the email sent to the Novell users is sent to the Exchange server instead of the Groupwise server. This could be MX record change or mailer change (if you have a mailer).

You need to understand both environments first. How many users are on Novell? What resources do they use? Printers, folders, email..etc etc.
    Then understand how to migrate
    Then understand the impact of a migration
    Then test a migration approach in a lab that does not involve endusers and observe results
    Then plan a migration that has the least risk, the best possibility for success and a rollback if things dont work
    Then migrate

Set up some dummy users on the Novell side and move those carefully first and then test to ensure they can log in, access files and printers and use email etc. Always ensure you have a rollback plan. Leave the Novell environment intact so it can used again if things go south.

I still think you need some advice from someone who knows what they are doing. If you shoot Marie Perry an email and tell her I sent you I have no doubt she can point you in the right direction. I dont know her rates but she would be able to help you as groupwise is something shes hot on.

Marie Perry CNI/Consultant/Trainer

While not rocket science, without at least CNA awareness of Novell and experience of migrations you are running at risk on this project unless you are provided with significant time, training and assistance from an experienced consultant. You could soon run into problems if you really dont know what you are doing. Ignore any advice from yahoos without Novell experience who said it was click, click done. Just think of the impact if the project becomes a big mess for your users. You will have no background to help recover from the situation and may make things much worse by fiddling.

A support call to both Novell and MS would be worthwhile I think so you at least have some assistance.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    So already you have a number of challenges there. The first thing you should do is explain to your boss that this is a significant piece of work and will take some time to plan and prepare. I would also advise that you recommend you receive some external consultancy help with a CNE.

This will be my initial step; it's a recurring theme here to be treated like gophers. Thanks for the cautions, I'll make sure this project is actually planned (for once).
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This will be my initial step; it's a recurring theme here to be treated like gophers. Thanks for the cautions, I'll make sure this project is actually planned (for once).

Yep. You definitely need to level with the boss to get all the help you need for this project. Time and some money to support it, external consultant, Novell/MS support calls, self study kit etc. You need to produce design documentation for this sort of thing or it can get out of control. But you will have to learn how to design the solution first!
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Thanks for the info; we already have AD2008 (svr03 domain mode) and Exchange 2007 in place. Logistics are going to be complicated.

Call Quest. Once you install 2007, you cannot install Exchange 2003 and now you will need a third party tool that can handle the migration between systems. The Quest Migrator can really scale up with multiple workstations running the tools and batch files. As a bonus the tool can convert GroupWise archives to PSTs that can be added back to Outlook, or preferably to an archive product like Mimosa or Enterprise Vault.