Options

worried

johngriffjohngriff Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ive been unemployed for awhile since i moved back to michigan..now I have the chance to go to school on the state and I'm slightly nervous about going to school and still being unemployed some of my school options are MCSA, CCNA, and a network combination(net+ and security+) all opinions and advice is welcome

Comments

• Options
    Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Financial aid usually covers cost of living, if that's a concern.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you're by Davenport University, they just started a program for 25% off tuitition for people who are unemployed. They also have online degree's but not alot in technology compared to actually going to the school. Davenport has classes for CCNA/CCNP/CCNA:S/A+/Network+ and some Microsoft stuff. They just changed the program around. If you have any of these certifications you should be able to get credit for them. I'm not sure about Microsoft though.

Davenport University > Home > Davenport University online ___ > Online Learning @ DU ___ > Online Programs

Davenport University offers 25 percent off tuition for the unemployed | MLive.com
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could probably find a part time retail job to cover some costs. Financial aid will usually pay for school and costs of living. (Mostly through loans, but getting the education out of the way is important.)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    jesseou812jesseou812 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I cannot tell you how many doors my degree opened for me. Do what you must to get a degree (avoid diploma mills and for profit schools).

It will pay off.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    johngriff wrote: »
    Ive been unemployed for awhile since i moved back to michigan..now I have the chance to go to school on the state and I'm slightly nervous about going to school and still being unemployed some of my school options are MCSA, CCNA, and a network combination(net+ and security+) all opinions and advice is welcome

Why are you 'stuck' in Michigan? If you moved there and there isn't work, why not move again to an area that is performing better?

Why do you want the State to pay for your school? It will be you and your neighbors and family are the ones paying for it and will be paying for it for years to come. Nothing is 'free' ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Why are you 'stuck' in Michigan? If you moved there and there isn't work, why not move again to an area that is performing better?

Why do you want the State to pay for your school? It will be you and your neighbors and family are the ones paying for it and will be paying for it for years to come. Nothing is 'free' ;)

Im stuck in michigan due to the fact my wife and kids are here and moving would be nice however the requires money which in turns requires a job which requires further education..and as the state comment rather I make use of the funds or someone else does it still will be used so I think it would make more sense to make use of it than not to
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What city are you in??
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Im stuck in michigan due to the fact my wife and kids are here and moving would be nice however the requires money which in turns requires a job which requires further education..and as the state comment rather I make use of the funds or someone else does it still will be used so I think it would make more sense to make use of it than not to

I hope you don't take offense to this, but this just sounds like a whiney response. The world doesn't owe you anything. Nothing is free, it takes hard work, some luck, and usually some money. So get off the pitty train and go make something of yourself.
  • Options
    What city are you in??

Grand Rapids just like you going through the NWLF program right now trying to decide between Beacon Learning Center and Davenport. worried about the job market after getting the certs
  • Options
    ..and as the state comment rather I make use of the funds or someone else does it still will be used so I think it would make more sense to make use of it than not to

Based on who's logic?

There are jobs, too many continue to thumb their noses at those jobs and rather say there are no jobs available, then make use of what 'is' available.

I've got friends and relatives who have left the State for work and kept their family in their home. It's hard, but doable. And its only short-term. IF things don't improve enough then they'll move their family, but for now, they keeping things going.

One even was hired back into that State, so his persistance did pay off.

Gov't assistance as a 'solution' is a poor solution at best. IMO

Why have you been unable to find work? What sort of things 'can' you do?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

I lived in Michigan and realized what was coming. I now live in the South Carolina and see many IT jobs posted around the state and of course North and South of me (Atlanta/Raleigh/Charlotte).

My advice, unless you have good contacts get out of Michigan.
  • Options
    I've got friends and relatives who have left the State for work and kept their family in their home. It's hard, but doable. And its only short-term. IF things don't improve enough then they'll move their family, but for now, they keeping things going.

My dad was transferred out of state when I was in early grade school. We put our house up for sale, moved in with my mom's sister, and my dad lived 250 miles away in an appartment for the next 6 months. I'm sure it placed some stress on the family, but it is nothing that I recall.

Even more recently a friend of mine got a good job out of state. She was staying in an extended stay place for several months while her fiance took care of her child (from a previous marriage) and prepared the house for sale while the daughter finished out the school year. Now they have all migrated over.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I hope you don't take offense to this, but this just sounds like a whiney response. The world doesn't owe you anything. Nothing is free, it takes hard work, some luck, and usually some money. So get off the pitty train and go make something of yourself.

You completely misread my post I know that nothing is owed to me and frankly I think it's asnine not to take advantage of programs put in place specifically to help people go back to school and increase their skill set
  • Options
    Based on who's logic?

There are jobs, too many continue to thumb their noses at those jobs and rather say there are no jobs available, then make use of what 'is' available.

One even was hired back into that State, so his persistance did pay off.

Gov't assistance as a 'solution' is a poor solution at best. IMO

Why have you been unable to find work? What sort of things 'can' you do?

I didnt say their were no jobs merely saying that the competition for said jobs is exetremely fierce. it must be nice to be to pack up and move at will
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I didnt say their were no jobs merely saying that the competition for said jobs is exetremely fierce. it must be nice to be to pack up and move at will

I used to live near Grand Rapids it's brutal in IT now a days unless you have a lot of experience. I moved when the economy was good to Ann Arbor. I get calls every other day when new openings arise but that's due to my past work history.

The point of the programs are to retrain you and get you back to work and paying taxes again in the hope you pay more taxes with increased salary potential. I would take advantage of the program and give it 150 percent effort.

Word of advice? Don't listen to negative people they will drag you down.

Second? Human networking is as important if not more important than computer networking. It's going to be tough landing that first IT job so make connections.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why are there so many toxic, self-righteous responses here?

I can appreciate being stuck; with a family in tow, moving town sometimes can't be an option. If money's an issue, get any dig ditching job around and work weekends as well. Do whatever needs to be done to pay the bills and look after the family. Hard times call for an extra-ordinary effort.
    If opportunities are the problem, social networking is the most important thing to do. Applying for jobs everywhere is fine, but knowing someone who knows someone in HR, IT mgmt, contracting, etc, can be much more effective. Just my experience.
  • Options
    ayoriayori Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You know what every time I feel worried or stressed and it seems like nothing's working, I think of the poor kids from 3rd-world countries (which is where I grew up) who don't even have clean water to drink.. then I just start feeling better.

I applied for student loan as my family doesn't have the funds to send me to school. That time, we've only been here in Canada for two years, and pretty much we're still paying our debts from back home. While studying, I worked at a nearby fast-food restaurant after school hours for almost everyday. Even though I live with my family, I pay for all my needs (rent, food, clothing, etc.). During the first year, I applied for Co-Op and luckily got a job. Now the 2nd company I'm working for my Co-Op offered me a full time job.

I just mentioned this because I was sorta on the same boat a few years ago. No job, no education, and no money.
  • Options

And again I ask:

"Why have you been unable to find work? What sort of things 'can' you do?"

As far as packing up and moving goes, that's not new. It's that the past 2-3 maybe 4 generations have gotten used to staying in one place.

Moving is never easy, however you did start your thread with being 'STUCK" in MI, one of the leading States for Unemployement for the past year or so. However, there is work up there, what sort of skills do you have?

And while 'competition' may be fierce, there are other areas (and even areas inside MI) that there isn't as 'fierce' of competition...what can you do that others cannot do?

Networking (social networking that is) as mentioned is likely the best way to land a job. Telling folks you are 'stuck' makes it sound as though you have thrown in the towel and want someone else to fix it (which by the way, the going to school on the State's dime sounds like).

Point is, there are jobs. It is possible to scratch the change together to pay your own way for school, or trade that with an employer for 'x' years of service...and if that doesn't work, consider a long distance job for the short-term to see if another area is better or MI shakes loose. Either way, getting out there is going to provide the best field of vision for what is happennig.
    Plantwiz
    _____