Options

What am I getting into?

mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I realize that there are possibly hundreds of posts like this, so there are and you would like to provide a link to the proper section to post, please do.

During my research I stumbled across this site and I'm glad I did-that aside I was wondering if I could get some input from anybody who has gone through what i'm thinking about doing.

I am about to decide whether or not to sighn up for a two year program online for CNT. It's nothing special, just through a local community college, but it's all I can afford and is all I can really do since I'm trapped at a night job and waking up in the middle of the day to try and take in person classes would certainly lead me to failure.

I guess my question is, am I making a wise choice? I'm a little concerned about the whole online thing. They send a kit and all that, but it seems to me that this is really a hands on kind of thing to learn at a school lab or something.

I like messing with computers (building, basic home network stuff) but am far from talented. It starts off with a VB class (which i've had no experience with) as well a math class (which i'm terrible at). Do these online programs do an adequate job of teaching? Or is it more of a "prove what you know" deal? Does that make any sense?

They say to plan on 16-20 hours a week over two years for an associate's degree (as well as being somewhat prepared for your MSCE, MCSA, CNA, N+, Linux+, A+ ETC.
It just seems a bit far fetched I guess. And it is fairly expensive.

Yes i've talked with counscelors and some teachers but I wanted to get the community's opinion I guess. And from what i've read through some of these forums here...you guys are definitly the ones to ask. Ok, well sorry for the ramble, I appreciate any info you can provide. Please feel free if you have any questions about this particular program. Nice to be here.

(it's the 21st of july now and I haven't been able to post new replies. Anybody have any ideas as to why? I'd like to post some new stuff lol.
"Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    And it is fairly expensive.

Define fairly. My BS in InfoSec set me back $36k, but I got a job while still in school and am now making almost double that.

I guess it depends on the program. Will you actually get a degree or just a certificate? Many here will tell you that a degree will be helpful and I concur. If you can afford it and it wont hinder your lifestyle then go for it.

What kind of career are you looking for?
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Another thing to keep in mind is that with any online program you are basically teaching yourself the material. So unless you are very disciplined and dedicated to the task at hand, you will falter. Online programs are a hit or miss. I did my A.S. at a Community College on campus and it was a good program. I just finished my B.S. at DeVry and attended about 90% of the classes on campus and the remaining 10% online. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, so if a course is in your realm of easy then doing it online isn't a bad idea.

In the end you get what you put into it.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hello all,

I realize that there are possibly hundreds of posts like this, so there are and you would like to provide a link to the proper section to post, please do.

During my research I stumbled across this site and I'm glad I did-that aside I was wondering if I could get some input from anybody who has gone through what i'm thinking about doing.

I am about to decide whether or not to sighn up for a two year program online for CNT. It's nothing special, just through a local community college, but it's all I can afford and is all I can really do since I'm trapped at a night job and waking up in the middle of the day to try and take in person classes would certainly lead me to failure.

I guess my question is, am I making a wise choice? I'm a little concerned about the whole online thing. They send a kit and all that, but it seems to me that this is really a hands on kind of thing to learn at a school lab or something.

I like messing with computers (building, basic home network stuff) but am far from talented. It starts off with a VB class (which i've had no experience with) as well a math class (which i'm terrible at). Do these online programs do an adequate job of teaching? Or is it more of a "prove what you know" deal? Does that make any sense?

They say to plan on 16-20 hours a week over two years for an associate's degree (as well as being somewhat prepared for your MSCE, MCSA, CNA, N+, Linux+, A+ ETC.
    It just seems a bit far fetched I guess. And it is fairly expensive.

Yes i've talked with counscelors and some teachers but I wanted to get the community's opinion I guess. And from what i've read through some of these forums here...you guys are definitly the ones to ask. Ok, well sorry for the ramble, I appreciate any info you can provide. Please feel free if you have any questions about this particular program. Nice to be here.

I just want to say that we all gotta start somewhere, and the skills will come with time. I’m not sure what CNT is, but if I could start all over again I would have went to a community college and got my associates degree there instead of a career/ for profit college. Currently, I attend a for profit or career college and it is expensive, and most of the expense is due to the fact that tuition is not subsided by the state. I could have saved a ton of money and obtained a degree with a better accreditation rating if I went to a community or technical college.
    I would look at the accreditation of the college…Are they regional accredited? Do they have transfer agreements with other colleges?
    Here are some links that may help you , good luck
    89 Financial Aid for College Tips | StudentLoansForCollege.org
    Twenty Questions to Ask During a College Visit (Plus Nine Annoying Questions Your Parents Should Ask) | EduGuide
    Personally I dreaded the online classes because I’m a people person and I like interacting with the class and teacher. Also, it’s easy to get your questions answered in a timely manner in a on campus class room vs on line. All I can tell you is that there is no magic bullet as far as degrees, experience, certifications or personality, but those things do add up and they will help you get a job. I would suggest taking the program on campus first, and then slowly trying a few classes on line. Good luck
    I wanted to say that I’m bad at math, but I’m still in school and I passed college algebra it can be done. If you believe in yourself others will help you out. Also, there are always resources at school to help with tutoring and homework. After you enroll in the program you will have to find your focus: web design, networking, Security, programming ect ect… After taking a few classes you will eventually figure out what appeals to you………. Good Luck hope this helps!!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First off, Welcome to TE!
    As others have already noted, check the accreditation (sp?) of the school. Online schooling is different from regular B & M mainly due to the fact that it is you Learning and not being taught. What you nput into it determines how well you will do.
    Math isn't that hard, it just takes practice.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does the program apply towards anything else (i.e. a BA/BS degree)? An associates isn't going to be worth much on its own, so it's probably not a good route to take if you just get stuck with that and have to start over with another program.

Something like WGU might be a better option for you.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I myself have done well taking classes online. I even took college Algebra online (yet another useless class, but heck I got a 99% in it). Taking math classes online are considerably harder than tech classes.

I did the majority of my classes online for my associates at my community college and I took advantage of the transfer program to earn my BS (still will be awhile longer till I earn my BS though). I have never even been to the university I'm taking online classes from. I still regularly face the issue of there being a lack of classes offered.
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Wow great responses! Thanks guys! Well, I will try and awnser some of these questions to the best of my ability.

The two year Associate's degree is about $20,000 (I included the cost of books in that amount), and it awards a "Degree in applied science". As far as my career interests go, to start probably nothing special...maybe a job on a geek squad somewhere while I continue studying. But if I get a good roll going possibly throwing an MBA in there might help. As far as will the credits transfer-I wanna say yes as I have talked to people who went on to further there education...that being said, great question! Guess I just assumed. Going to write that down for sure.

I really wish I could take classes in person. In person during the second year you start hands on work on the schools networks, and that sounds invaluble to me...but I just can't do it. I'm stuck at a night job and going to days would cost me lots of money and I'm fairly certain they wouldn't let me switch anyways.

As far as accreditation goes, it says it is accredited by "The Higher Learning Commision and a member of the North Central Association".

Yeah...I really need some hands on math help. Ironic things is most of my uncles are CPA's and my father had multiple masters and worked as a cost accountant before he died. One of my uncle's was a CFO for some big company as well. But I guess I didn't pick up that gene...that or it just bores me.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! You have all given me a better overall picture about things and have helped me beef up my list of questions to ask them. I'll let you know if I find out any more info, and if you're bored please feel free to offer any more thoughts you may have.

P.S. CNT stands for Computer Networking Technology, thats what they call the course. For what it's worth, here is a list of the classes over two years:

Visual Basic

Advanced Visual Basic

Composition I

Math for Liberal Arts

Microcomputer Fundamentals

Advanced Networking Technology

Network Design & Documentation

Network Cabling

CISCO Networking

CISCO Routers

CISCO Switches

CISCO WAN

Windows Server

Windows Directory Server

Linux System Administration

Advanced Linux System Administration

Network+ Certification

Network Security

Telecommunications Services

PC Support I

PC Support II

Intro Into Psychology
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    The two year Associate's degree is about $20,000 (I included the cost of books in that amount), and it awards a "Degree in applied science". As far as my career interests go, to start probably nothing special...maybe a job on a geek squad somewhere while I continue studying. But if I get a good roll going possibly throwing an MBA in there might help. As far as will the credits transfer-I wanna say yes as I have talked to people who went on to further there education...that being said, great question! Guess I just assumed. Going to write that down for sure.

Sounds like a plan. I'd avoid geeksquad, i mean, just saying. And an MBA will mean you gotta get a BA (BS) first...so that brings me to my next point -- make sure the credits will transfer to 4-year schools if you think you might go that route. Comp I and Intro to Psych will transfer, but that only is 6 credits total - or 1/2 of 1 semester towards your BA/BS, with the rest potentially acting as electives in your major.

The accred. is legit. Do they have a .edu TLD? Those are administered by educause and not handed out to unaccredited schools.
    Visual Basic
    Advanced Visual Basic
    Composition I
    Math for Liberal Arts
    Microcomputer Fundamentals
    Advanced Networking Technology
    Network Design & Documentation
    Network Cabling
    CISCO Networking
    CISCO Routers
    CISCO Switches
    CISCO WAN
    Windows Server
    Windows Directory Server
    Linux System Administration
    Advanced Linux System Administration
    Network+ Certification
    Network Security
    Telecommunications Services
    PC Support I
    PC Support II
    Intro Into Psychology

Decent list. You should be able to come out of that with at least a CCNA and a Linux+, Network+, A+, and possibly MCSA/MCSE/MCITP (somewhere in that range).

Edit: P.S. Math for liberal arts isn't that bad. Think of all the english majors and history kids who have to take math for liberal arts -- and then realize that if they can do it (with their lack of math skills), you can do it.
  • Options
    Hi Hypnotoad (nice handle btw),

No .edu TLD for some reason. I guess it would be more beneficial to just list the school's name so you guys can form a better opinion? It is Iowa Central Online. I'm not sure how reputable Guidetoonlineschools.com is but it ranks the school as #4 out of the top 25 online schools
    Top Online Colleges ? 2009 Rankings and Ratings of Online Universities

I just stumbled across that trying to find an awnser to your question. But again, the "will it transfer" question is a biggie and I will find out tomorrow when I speak to my counselor and i'll let you guys know, because if it doesn't then it's a no go. Thanks again!

-MickeyCoronado
  • Options
    Well I typed a reply last night and was told I had to wait for moderation...was hoping that would be posted by now but since it's not, and I have more info now, I will try and emulate what I wrote last night:

Hi Hypnotoad (nice handle btw),

No .edu TLD for some reason. I suppose it would be more beneficial to just list the name of the school I'm looking at so people can form a better opinion. It is Iowa Central Online. I'm not sure how reputable Guidetoonlineschools.com is but they have it listed as #4 in the top 25 online schools...if that means anything. Top Online Colleges ? 2009 Rankings and Ratings of Online Universities I found that while looking for the .edu deal.

Yeah the MBA thing is a distant thing and I realize it would be 4 years off before I could attempt it. I spoke with my councelor and the guy who runs the program and got a few more facts.

1. It is a regionally accredited school so transfers should be a decent bet in my area although I will send an email to some of the local Universities and see if I hit on anything more.

2. That being said, about 80% of the students do not go on to get their BS and treat it as more of a job skills training kinda thing. The way it is generally handled for the ones who go on for their BS is the Universities do sort of a "flip" kind of thing and treat the 2 year associate's program as counting as the "last two years" of school. So if I were to go on for the BS it would be basically 2 years of traditional hardcore general classes.

3. As far as the class material and my issues with the lack of hands on time, it was explained to me that the program is very hands on in the respect that they send you basically a mini lab consisting of routers and switches and tech gear and a computer, and it is very connected in terms of their networks and accessing computers and test servers and whatever. The guy who runs it told me he helped develop the program with some big companies and called it a little different then traditional online classes and even reffered to it as a little "revolutionary"...but from what i've seen looking around at different schools, a lot of them send you equipment and whatnot...so I don't know if he was just trying to pitch it to me or what.

3. I asked about the realistic ammount of time thats needs to go into this and he said they do surveys and 20-30 hours a week is the average amount of time that students with an A-B average put in. I don't know if that means that average students earned those grades by putting in that time, or if it means it took A-B caliber students that much time to do well...which makes me nervous. Guess I should have asked.

Some of the books I've looked at that are required also make me nervous, as some are poorly reviewed. The VB book specifically got bad reviews with people claiming you basically had to have a solid grasp on VB to even get past the basic starter material. That being said, it is been my experience that the majority of people who leave online reviews leave negative ones.

I don't really know what else to ask them. Any ideas? About the 4th of August is the latest I can wait to get into it comfortably and still recieve all of my equipment/books. Just waiting on my Financial aid application to come back. Guess I'll go from there...