Options

References?

DoctrinaBytesDoctrinaBytes Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
My job of 5 years as a project manager had let me go for a reduction in workforce. All they gave me was a work number for my employment verification (years with company, ending salary, and title). This is a large banking global company so they don't give personal references as its against their policy. My manager that I reported to won't put himself on the line to offer a reference as he could jepordize his job if somehow the company finds out. I am concerned about what to do for interviews and how I can explain it without the interviewer discounting me due to my previous companies policies. I can easily get personal references from co workers as I was well liked and did well on their projects. I got this job straight out of college as entry level help desk and worked into QA project manager so my work history is food and retail whilst working at my CIS degree. I'm stuck on what I should do? btw I am working on my Net+ cert to fill my time during unemployment and am glad to have found this site!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First off, welcome to the site. I am sure your time here will be well spent.

To be honest, I find it a bit strange that the company does not provide references. I mean a prospective employer is probably going to need some references, you know to make sure you are not bluffing your way through the interview and that have done some good work in the past. A personal reference (such as one from a colleague) might do, but I think you are going to find it a bit hard to convince someone that your former employer had a policy of not providing references. Maybe you can offer them performance reviews if you have them lying around? Out of curiosity, do they ask for references when they hire someone?

As for certs, since you have been in a PM role, I'd recommend you do a Project+ or a PMP or even ITIL (the hot thing these days). I dont see why you would want to do a N+.

Just my $.02 and welcome once again!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    DoctrinaBytesDoctrinaBytes Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for ther welcome Essendon. I'm choosing to do the Net+ in an attempt to get more tech savvy career path, the PMP I can't accomplish as yet with the limited hours of PM experience. Though the ITIL is something I hadn't thought of pursuing before. The application through PMI requires so many hours (non concurrent project work) for which I didn't feel comfortable in "being creative" on their application process. The PM career path was a bit disappointing as I was more managing offshore resources and acted as a liason between business and technology.

The bank didn't ask for references as I networked my way into the tech support position through a friend. At first the HR department rejected my application because I was over qualified and the manager had to call HR to tell them "Hey we want to hire this guy submit him into the system again". A fellow colleague had been let go the previous summer and they had the same response as to a call in work number for work history verification. She chose to pursue a degree in the health field so references didn't matter to her as much as it will for me.

Its like starting all over again, very frustrating. I'm even thinking abt WGU for an MS until the job market picks up.