• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I'm thinking of putting it under my contact numbers, like:
    • Name
    • Address
    • Phone
    • Blog
    And not trying to suck up :) I genuinely like sql. I think every sysadmin, even network guys, should have an understanding of a dbms. I want to be able to manage everything that I am responsible for, from an asa 5500 to a sql 05 box. There are too many IT guys in my town that are beyond clueless. To touch up on what other have said, not knowing how AD and DNS work together is total fail.

Being a Cisco guy and a DBA is a fool's errand. You can definitely do one, but not both. Mind you can do both...in my opinion, it just won't be done well.

It is definitely better to stay a systems/domain admin and a DBA, then to be that guy that does everything. In a tiny shop, that's probably doable, but as the shop's get bigger...no way.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    that's probably doable, but as the shop's get bigger...no way.

As the shop gets bigger, you hire someone else and then start handing off the tasks that you don't want to work on, or the ones that they would be specialized in.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Being a Cisco guy and a DBA is a fool's errand. You can definitely do one, but not both. Mind you can do both...in my opinion, it just won't be done well.

It is definitely better to stay a systems/domain admin and a DBA, then to be that guy that does everything. In a tiny shop, that's probably doable, but as the shop's get bigger...no way.

Being a DBA and knowing about SQL are two totally different things. Notice I said "should have an understanding of a dbms" and not "equivailent to a dba". I will never become a dba, but I will eventually become network security engineer.

I work in a small shop so I know it is entirely possible (and beneficial) to do both, systems and networking that is.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Being a DBA and knowing about SQL are two totally different things. Notice I said "should have an understanding of a dbms" and not "equivailent to a dba". I will never become a dba, but I will eventually become network security engineer.

I work in a small shop so I know it is entirely possible (and beneficial) to do both, systems and networking that is.

Now that's different. I believe a good admin should have an understanding of all the applications/appliances in his shop, regardless of the size. I just read it, and perhaps incorrectly, to understand that one should be a jack-of-all-trades kind-of deal.

I hope you weren't thinking I was cooling you a fool though. Never my intention. I just know that that DBA work is a full time job, as well as network engineering and system admin in a larger shop. To try to do all would make one wish he were dead. LOL.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How do you guys feel about adding your blog address (if you have one) on your resume?
    Is it an impressive original body of your work? Is the information relevant to the job you're applying for? Does it showcase your talents and skills that could be applied to the job?

If someone's resume has passed the initial screening and earned further review status I'll usually check out a link if someone went to the trouble of including it on their resume. Usually I'll find something that isn't relevant, a half-baked website/blog showing they had great intentions but no follow through, or a collection of other people's work that they copy and pasted and seem to be trying to pass off as their work.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Are they at least dressed appropriately?

Yes, no issues with that. Today I had 3 great interviews and was impressed by each of the candidates. In the end it came down to a guy who was a good admin, had Office automation skills (I had started automating reports and so forth), and could start right away. I have a week to get him a good foundation in SQL and the datamodel used by our ERP.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Is it an impressive original body of your work? Is the information relevant to the job you're applying for? Does it showcase your talents and skills that could be applied to the job?

If someone's resume has passed the initial screening and earned further review status I'll usually check out a link if someone went to the trouble of including it on their resume. Usually I'll find something that isn't relevant, a half-baked website/blog showing they had great intentions but no follow through, or a collection of other people's work that they copy and pasted and seem to be trying to pass off as their work.

It'll be ramblings of my projects, IT and non-IT. For example, I just put up some sql stuff and next I'm going to add guitar chords diagrams. Then next month probably some Cisco stuff and probably some high intensity interval training splits. What do you consider an original body of work? If it's how to use dnslint or create extended acl's or write login scripts for gpo's then yes, it is original. No copying and pasting, that's so fail.
  • Options
    spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
    It'll be ramblings of my projects, IT and non-IT. For example, I just put up some sql stuff and next I'm going to add guitar chords diagrams. Then next month probably some Cisco stuff and probably some high intensity interval training splits. What do you consider an original body of work? If it's how to use dnslint or create extended acl's or write login scripts for gpo's then yes, it is original. No copying and pasting, that's so fail.

Very interested in everyones opinion about this.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think this is the most useful thread in the forum. I'm currently looking for a new job and the info here is really AMAZING.I had two problems previously one in Resume and other in doing interviews and I think the second problem is gone :D

I will post my resume once i finish updating it (in a new thread) because I know it's not good at all. I've never been able to write a good one and a good cover letter. It's not something I enjoy doing (like most IT i guess)

Again thanks for the thread.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    za3bour wrote: »
    I think this is the most useful thread in the forum. I'm currently looking for a new job and the info here is really AMAZING.I had two problems previously one in Resume and other in doing interviews and I think the second problem is gone :D

I will post my resume once i finish updating it (in a new thread) because I know it's not good at all. I've never been able to write a good one and a good cover letter. It's not something I enjoy doing (like most IT i guess)

Again thanks for the thread.

I know some people that just toss off the cover letter, others won't even consider you based on your lack of a cover letter. I know what position I would rather be in.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□

I customized my LinkedIn address space and put it on my resume... but if you don't have at least 3-4 recommendations and a 100% complete profile, I would not.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, as far as the interview process goes I would say the following:
    1. Once you have decided to start looking for a new job begin reviewing the basics. If you are looking for a spot with a company as a sys admin, review MCSA level skills and Network+/Server+ sorts of things.

2. If things are mentioned in the skills list that you are not familiar with make yourself familiar with them. This does not mean learn them, it means at least be able to discuss them beyond saying, "I've never worked with that."

3. Bring visual aids that highlight your skills and accomplishments that pertain to the job. Do not bring things that are revealing of the clients or operations of current or past employers. This can set you apart from the competition (but as some mentioned, could cut your own throat).

4. Review your own resume before the interview so that you can easily discuss it without having to refer to it.

5. Show up early in case you have to fill out some forms. 10 minutes should be enough. Bring a copy of your resume so you don't have to think about your employement dates if you have to fill out an application. I would suggest bringing 3 copies with you regardless.

6. Research and know about the company. Ask questions about the work environment. Show you are smart and want to ensure the place is a good fit for you as well.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    spartangtr wrote: »
    Very interested in everyones opinion about this.

Like the portfolio comments I made earlier, I'd stay away from putting a blog or other social media links on my resume.

I would agree that 'it depends' on the situation and 'it depends' on the content and how the social media site is maintained...but I think for many they will find doing this has more negatives aspects then positive.

As with most things, you have to be able to 'defend' your reasonings and such (that is if you have the chance to do so). Your content better be current or just forget about adding it altogether.

And if you provide one site, a sleuthful HR person may go digging for more and find your 'other' information on a collection of other sites...some may not be flattering. Topics such as religion, politics and partner preferences may knock a talented candidate out of the running. It may not be that the company frowns on your believes, but they may be concerned that you will be promoting your views while acting as an agent of the organization...which could conflict. (if you are required to attend trade shows, or participate in PR events etc...not 'all' IT folks are left to the server rooms, some companies this unified team image is important).

In the end, you may find that if the company cannot take you as you are, then that is not the best fit for you...but sometimes, sometimes there may be reason to squash self-righteous believes for the paycheck.

Just be aware that a new era of amateur PI's has arrived and your 'private' life is very much public.

The short answer:
    NO, I would not include a blog on my resume.
    (if it's that good of a blog, they may already follow you ;) ).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, as far as the interview process goes I would say the following:
    1. Once you have decided to start looking for a new job begin reviewing the basics. If you are looking for a spot with a company as a sys admin, review MCSA level skills and Network+/Server+ sorts of things.

2. If things are mentioned in the skills list that you are not familiar with make yourself familiar with them. This does not mean learn them, it means at least be able to discuss them beyond saying, "I've never worked with that."

3. Bring visual aids that highlight your skills and accomplishments that pertain to the job. Do not bring things that are revealing of the clients or operations of current or past employers. This can set you apart from the competition (but as some mentioned, could cut your own throat).

4. Review your own resume before the interview so that you can easily discuss it without having to refer to it.

5. Show up early in case you have to fill out some forms. 10 minutes should be enough. Bring a copy of your resume so you don't have to think about your employement dates if you have to fill out an application. I would suggest bringing 3 copies with you regardless.

6. Research and know about the company. Ask questions about the work environment. Show you are smart and want to ensure the place is a good fit for you as well.

That's really some nice advice especially #3 thanks.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Like the portfolio comments I made earlier, I'd stay away from putting a blog or other social media links on my resume.

I would agree that 'it depends' on the situation and 'it depends' on the content and how the social media site is maintained...but I think for many they will find doing this has more negatives aspects then positive.

As with most things, you have to be able to 'defend' your reasonings and such (that is if you have the chance to do so). Your content better be current or just forget about adding it altogether.

And if you provide one site, a sleuthful HR person may go digging for more and find your 'other' information on a collection of other sites...some may not be flattering. Topics such as religion, politics and partner preferences may knock a talented candidate out of the running. It may not be that the company frowns on your believes, but they may be concerned that you will be promoting your views while acting as an agent of the organization...which could conflict. (if you are required to attend trade shows, or participate in PR events etc...not 'all' IT folks are left to the server rooms, some companies this unified team image is important).

In the end, you may find that if the company cannot take you as you are, then that is not the best fit for you...but sometimes, sometimes there may be reason to squash self-righteous believes for the paycheck.

Just be aware that a new era of amateur PI's has arrived and your 'private' life is very much public.

The short answer:
    NO, I would not include a blog on my resume.
    (if it's that good of a blog, they may already follow you ;) ).

Good advice IMO. While losing out on a job because of actual (or perceived) beliefs in terms of religion, politics and partner preference (amongst a thousand other things) may consititute discrimination and be illegal..it can and does happen everywhere to some degree. Some would even argue it is human nature. So keep the personal stuff off your resume and concentrate on what you can bring to the job.