Options

Got a call for an interview...

dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
... and they wanted me to interview on a specific day. I told them if it is possible to re-schedule due to prior engagements. She told me that she will call me back after talking to the IT supervisor. I did not get a call back, so I called and left her a message (since she didn't answer the phone). No call back yet. Do you guys think I blew the chance of an interview? If I did, I think it is highly unprofessional for them not to work around because she wanted me to come for interview on Monday (she called on Friday) and I asked it to be scheduled on Wednesday.

Is it normal for the companies not to reschedule or is it just this company?
What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Was it a recruiter or the company itself calling? If the former then no surprise that she's being inflexible. From my experience they're mostly just looking to fill head count. If it was the company itself then it is either representative of their culture or they have deadlines to meet. I wouldn't take it personally either way, just move on to the next interview.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did over about 7-10 in person interviews over the last 4 months and countless phone interviews. From what I have seen, most (not all) people who are calling people in for interviews are understanding about peoples schedules. I did have one interview that I wanted to go for but I had prior engagements and I explained to that company that I could come in later to which they responded with "We can't do it later. We won't have any availability for the IT managers". I asked to do a phone interview instead but they declined. They was a red flag and I didn't reach out any further. IMO if they aren't willing to work with you within reason, you probably aren't a number 1 (or 2 or 3) prospect which means that you are less likely to get the job anyway. For my current job, they work with my schedule to get me in here for my 3 interviews. That showed me that they were serious. Remember interviews are a two way street. You should like them as much as they like you.
  • Options
    dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.
    @undomiel - It is the company that called me. If it was recruiter calling, Iwouln't have started this thread because I know how they work and would not have been phased by that.
    @knwminus - That is what I was thinking, if they are not flexible for interview then it is not the right opportunity but I got an interview call after so many months of trying and sending out resumes, also my qualifications fit the requirements and that is why I am a little upset about it.
    Anyways, I guess its time to move on.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    undomiel wrote: »
    Was it a recruiter or the company itself calling? If the former then no surprise that she's being inflexible. From my experience they're mostly just looking to fill head count. If it was the company itself then it is either representative of their culture or they have deadlines to meet. I wouldn't take it personally either way, just move on to the next interview.

The recruiting company I worked with wasn't that bad. I wouldn't say I had complete control, but I never had to break other plans in order to interview.
    Decide what to be and go be it.