Options

Fixin' to pull the trigger on a 2950....

JerzJerz Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
OK... before I pull the trigger on this 2950 would anyone care to comment? I'd like to put this in with the home network so I kind of *need* the 100mbps capability even though it four hundred bux more than the 1924. Is there somewhere less expensive to get these things? Any opinions?

Preeeesh!

Jerz

Comments

• Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    2950's are gonna cost you a pretty penny no matter what because they're still viable hardware. The 1900's are dirt cheap simply because you can buy a 24 port 10/100 switch for fairly cheap. That's not going to change until gigabit switches became standard home items.

I personally wouldn't pay more than 300 for a switch... and unless you actually need 24 ports, I'd wait until a 2950-12 shows up, you'd probably get it a bit cheaper.

I lucked out, work was tossing some old 2900 series, and I picked up a 2926. It's old, it's huge, it's heavy, but it's got 24 10/100 ports, running CatOS (which will do wonders for my CCNP studies) and it didn't cost me a dime ;)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    I lucked out, work was tossing some old 2900 series, and I picked up a 2926. It's old, it's huge, it's heavy, but it's got 24 10/100 ports, running CatOS (which will do wonders for my CCNP studies) and it didn't cost me a dime

So what is the difference between a 2926 and a 2950? I noticed those are a couple hundred cheaper....

Jerz
  • Options
    Thanks Dragonblayde... although I probably paid too much I just got one for $388 including 2day shipping sooooooo.... better than 500?

Besides, I need to save the real cheap stuff for the ones that are still in college...

;)
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I lucked out, work was tossing some old 2900 series, and I picked up a 2926. It's old, it's huge, it's heavy, but it's got 24 10/100 ports, running CatOS (which will do wonders for my CCNP studies) and it didn't cost me a dime ;)

The BCMSN doesn't cover CatOS in any detail. The questions are taken from the BCMSN course material and there is only a small section on CatOS. What the BCMSN course does cover is converting your CatOS system to Native IOS. They may also ask you about the differences in CatOS, Native, and Hybrid.

You are not required to know the commands for CatOS just the technologies and those are readily available with IOS.
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Jerz wrote:
    I lucked out, work was tossing some old 2900 series, and I picked up a 2926. It's old, it's huge, it's heavy, but it's got 24 10/100 ports, running CatOS (which will do wonders for my CCNP studies) and it didn't cost me a dime

So what is the difference between a 2926 and a 2950? I noticed those are a couple hundred cheaper....

Jerz

The 2926's are old. They're the precursors to the Catalyst 5000 series. And like I said, they're big and clunky. They're like the big sexy catalysts, you don't normally use one to connect users. It's basically an outdated enterprise type switch. We were tossing it (and 3 others of the 12 port variety) because they were basically deemed unsellable. Judging by what we actually get in, our customers seem to all want Catalyst 6500's. They're usually allocated for sale before we even get them in.
    Thanks Dragonblayde... although I probably paid too much I just got one for $388 including 2day shipping sooooooo.... better than 500?

Besides, I need to save the real cheap stuff for the ones that are still in college...

That's really not too bad at all, still a bit too much, but definetly better than the 500 you were going to blow hehe
    The BCMSN doesn't cover CatOS in any detail. The questions are taken from the BCMSN course material and there is only a small section on CatOS. What the BCMSN course does cover is converting your CatOS system to Native IOS. They may also ask you about the differences in CatOS, Native, and Hybrid.

You are not required to know the commands for CatOS just the technologies and those are readily available with IOS.

Hrm, interesting. I've already picked up on most of the differences between CatOS and IOS, and it's really not that difficult. But cool, if BCMSN will walk me through getting back to regular IOS, that'll make life easier.

I wonder if you need to know CatOS for CCIE. I'm pretty sure it's still pretty widely used... only a couple of our customers have wanted it changed over on our outgoing Cat's. Most probably just want to avoid paying the licensing fees to Cisco hehe
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=