Options

applying for jobs you're not 100% qualified for

2»

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've been spending some time now applying for jobs and I'm lucky if I can hit the 50% mark on what they ask for. The advantage - my resume is in view at more places
    The disadvantage- haven't gotten the jobs or even interviews for them
    Just keeping on applying.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Just applied for a job as a help desk analyst. Not even 50% qualified. Don't even recognize what a few technologies are that they mentioned.
    What are CTI, ALD, and IVR?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    earweed wrote: »
    Just applied for a job as a help desk analyst. Not even 50% qualified. Don't even recognize what a few technologies are that they mentioned.
    What are CTI, ALD, and IVR?
    Telephony stuff
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mark_s0 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to apply for a infosec position that I don't necessary meet all requirements for but I do meet most of the essential and half the desired requirements.
    An example is - The position asks for linux/unix experience as they use linux/unix based tools to carry out their work which I don't have. But it does say "or demonstrable ability to become proficient in these areas".

Aside from showing enthusiasm to want to learn linux and that showing i'm a quick learner, I'm abit lost as to how I can prove this.
    It could be self doubt, or chronic 'man-flu' stopping my brain thinking properly, but this is a department that I've wanted to work in for over a year and now a vacancy has come up, I don't want to apply and make a fool out of myself but at the same time, I don't want to waste the opportunity.

This is a position I would love to get and I see it as a really good opportunity, not only salary wise, but to really boost my career. Any pointers from anyone? Maybe someone who's been in a similar situation?

Thanks

Mark

Companies don't expect you to know everything. They also don't want an employee who isn't willing to go out on a limb every once in a while. Go for it!! icon_cheers.gif
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Shoot you guys would laugh if you saw the job description for my current gig. It was two pages single spaced and I’ve only got formal experience with maybe 1/3 of it. I’ve got familiarity with at least another 1/3 just from my last job and auditing dozens of networks, but there’s still about 1/3 I’ve never seen, touched, or know what to do with. In my case, I’m strong on the networking requirements, but that’s the primary focus of the job. I’m not an AD guru but it was still a requirement because of the complex authentication environment. As long as you make yourself familiar with the requirements which you don’t have experience with it will show you’re willing to try to learn it. If I was an access management guru with mild networking skills I wouldn’t have gotten my job because it’s a networking job. However, not knowing some of the smaller requirements wasn’t a huge detriment, but more a plus if I did know them. Pay attention to the main requirements and try to learn the secondary. Also express your strong desire to learn and express that you’re specifically applying for a job which will provide growth and knowledge opportunities.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    it’s a networking job
    But is it a Cisco network? Will those Cisco certs get some exercise? :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    Like some have said - Companies want everything possible but don't want to pay for all those skills. Hence, IF the person(s) did exist with all the skills they probably wouldn't apply given the near probability that the pay doesn't stack up. So the CVs they get are from less-skilled individuals who they will likely have to concede they aren't going to get what they want.

Apply with optimism and don't think of getting paid a lot less because you don't tick all the boxes as there are too many boxes probably anyhow! ;)

Good Luck!
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • Options
    geezer wrote: »
    Like some have said - Companies want everything possible but don't want to pay for all those skills. Hence, IF the person(s) did exist with all the skills they probably wouldn't apply given the near probability that the pay doesn't stack up. So the CVs they get are from less-skilled individuals who they will likely have to concede they aren't going to get what they want.

Apply with optimism and don't think of getting paid a lot less because you don't tick all the boxes as there are too many boxes probably anyhow! ;)

Good Luck!
    If I only applied to jobs I could fill all the boxes on I couldn't apply to anything. As long as it's not a specialized job that I don't have the special expertise I apply. That's how it's gonna be til I am that expert on something.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    But is it a Cisco network? Will those Cisco certs get some exercise? :D

All Cisco all the time.* Just did some FW ACL changes actually.

*not actually true, but far more than any other job in the past :) This job is more testing my design skills more than anything. I'm designing a 20k+ user SSL VPN topology at the moment.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    mark_s0mark_s0 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just an update all, I didn't even get an interview, but to be honest, I think it's for the best. I've been thinking alot since I applied (2 weeks or so ago) and I think I've got it pretty good where I am.
    I'm fortunate that my current boss is flexible in what I can learn, and I know I have a lot to learn so staying could be good for me.
    As bad as it sounds, two guys are coming up to retirement in the next 2-3 years so that's where my goal is at the moment. Get my hands on as much as I can, and who knows, in 2-3 years, my name could be first in line for promotion. That's the way I'm looking at it.

To those that responded to my post, thank you for your help. A lot of good points have been made and hopefully will help others who had the same questions I did.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Glad to hear that you are ok. Lets say that you did get an interview. You could have used that as a learning expereince, even if you had decided that you didn't really want the job. Plus you are giving it a chance to see if that is what you want.

Nothing to lose.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    mark_s0mark_s0 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If they had offered me an interview then it would've been a great learning experience no doubt about it, even if I wasn't overly sure on it.

But because I got a rejection letter, it got me thinking that actually i'm in a pretty good position where I am so I maybe it was for the best. In fact it's actually given me more motivation as strange as it sounds. It's made me more focused on my certs because i've seen what's possible 2-5 years down the line.