Options

Just got my Mike Myers A+ book!

keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Just received my Mike Myers A+ book the other day. I'm so eager to start reading it but the thickness of the book is so intimidating. Anybody feel like this? How long it took you to read it carefully and pass the test?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    keeranbri wrote: »
    Anybody feel like this?
    Yes, but that's why we've got the "One Chapter, One Beer" motivational study method over in the Cisco Forums. After you finish reading a chapter you get to drink a beer (or save it for later if you want to drink a few beers at one time) -- but you are on the honor system that you actually did a good job reading the chapter and not just a fake speed read.

But other people use the "One Chapter, better job someday" or "One Chapter, better life for my family" methods. There's also the "beat my co-worker to a promotion" method.... the "avoid the next round of layoffs" method...

You've just got to find something that works for you to motivate yourself to pick that book up and start reading.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    keeranbri wrote: »
    Hello all,

Just received my Mike Myers A+ book the other day. I'm so eager to start reading it but the thickness of the book is so intimidating. Anybody feel like this? How long it took you to read it carefully and pass the test?

It took me about a month the read the book, take apart a few machines and pass the exam. I suggest you just take it one at a time and go through it. Believe me when I say as you go through higher level certs it will not get "easier" and the books will only get thicker. Just take your time and you will be ok.
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    I felt the same way when I got mine icon_lol.gif

I decided to read through the book cover-to-cover just to make sure I soaked in all the information I needed even though I could have just gone through the practical application sections on most of it based on my experience. I finished the reading in just over a week and ended up with solid scores on the practice exams provided. I actually just finished the reading yesterday, so today I re-read through the glossary section and fired up the learnkey videos. Got both exams scheduled for next Saturday, so we'll see how it goes.

Either way, just crack it open and get rolling! You apparently had the ambition to further yourself by getting the book in the first place, so don't let the size of the book try and dissuade you icon_wink.gif
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Yes, but that's why we've got the "One Chapter, One Beer" motivational study method over in the Cisco Forums. After you finish reading a chapter you get to drink a beer (or save it for later if you want to drink a few beers at one time) -- but you are on the honor system that you actually did a good job reading the chapter and not just a fake speed read.

But other people use the "One Chapter, better job someday" or "One Chapter, better life for my family" methods. There's also the "beat my co-worker to a promotion" method.... the "avoid the next round of layoffs" method...

You've just got to find something that works for you to motivate yourself to pick that book up and start reading.

One chapter, One beer icon_rolleyes.gif j/k

Interesting, no wonder the CompTIA forums are not as busy...you're luring all the young innocent minds over to the higher level certs ;)

Overall, good advice from icon_mike.gif

Although, the One beer method sure would change that 10K page challenge for some...icon_twisted.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?