EC-Council vs Comptia

SkyPCSkyPC Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am currently working on my Comptia A+ certification, however I am also thinking ahead to the next certifications.

I was planning on going the Network+ and Security+ after my A+, but I just discovered EC-Council's certifications.

I am not sure I understand the difference between Network+ and Network 5 for instance. Is Comptia more recognized than EC-Council when it comes to entry-level certifications?

Thank you for the clarification! icon_cool.gif

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to TE!
    CompTIA is more recognized for the entry level certs.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Welcome, as someone who has taken the Comptia Security+ and the Security 5 I can tell you that Comptia definatly has market dominance on the entry level Ec-Council Certs. I would say if you really wanted to get EC-Council on your resume, x5 exams are very entry level. I finished the Security5 exam in like 5 minutes...

The x5 exams are actually targeted towards business, rather than individuals. For instance, you could get your company certified in "security foundations" to give them an idea of why they shouldn't click that link in that email from Nigeria, and how to turn on Windows Firewall.

So I would suggest the CompTIA exams, I have yet to see any benefit to my Security5.
  • SkyPCSkyPC Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the replies and the welcome!

I would have probably pursued the Network 5 and Security 5 certifications as they seem targeted to entry-level individuals. However, it looks like they might be somewhat redundant with the Comptia certs, so I more than likely will skip the x5 certs.

Thanks again! icon_cool.gif