Options

Exam 70-640 - Power Shell

focusfocus Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I know the exam covers powershell but to what extend? It is just the basic commands?

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Very basic..
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Almost nothing when I took it.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you will get 1 question max but it's all expectations you might get more than one but I don't think so. It's always better to study every thing just in case.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    (Full disclosure - I took the 649 upgrade exam and not the full 640 exam)

The 640 exam was written against the RTM version of Server 2008 - not 2008 R2. Based on the published exam requirements, most of the command-line objectives are around automating Active Directory tasks. Since AD cmdlets weren't introduced until R2, I would guess that the odds of getting a question on PowerShell are pretty slim. You would be better off learning the options (and limitations) of the legacy command-line tools such as ldifde, csvde, and the various DS commands.

If anything, working with those commands will make you appreciate PowerShell more.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    . You would be better off learning the options (and limitations) of the legacy command-line tools such as ldifde, csvde, and the various DS commands.

If anything, working with those commands will make you appreciate PowerShell more.

+1 Those are the things you need to concentrate on.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    MalasiusMalasius Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I haven't really been learning it at all. I'm focusing more on windows command line tools...