Options

Clarification on Encryption types....

jpkennedy79jpkennedy79 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am seeing some conflicting documentation in my books and online readings on weather the below are Symmetric or Asymmetric encryption type's.

Kerberos
SSL/TLS
SSH
IPSec

What are your thoughts on what types of encryption is used for the above? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    xetrevxetrev Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kerberos = windows
    ssl = web port 443
    ssh = secure telnet client port 22
    ipsec = vpn
  • Options
    xetrev wrote:
    kerberos = windows
    ssl = web port 443
    ssh = secure telnet client port 22
    ipsec = vpn

I am looking for the type of encryption they use.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am seeing some conflicting documentation in my books and online readings on weather the below are Symmetric or Asymmetric encryption type's.
    Kerberos
    SSL/TLS
    SSH
    IPSec
    What are your thoughts on what types of encryption is used for the above? Thanks.

Ummm - both icon_wink.gif

Actually, that is a statement which is both true and untrue. I think perhaps you are better off knowing the methodology of those systems rather than the encryption type.
    For instance IPSec uses MD5, SHA, HMAC, and HAVAL for hashing, and uses DES, 3DES, and IDEA for encryption. The smaller & faster symmetric algorithms are used to hash and the bigger and slower algorithms are used to encrypt the message.
    Robert ShimonskiThe numbers of symmetric algorithms used generally outweigh the number of asymmetric algorithms. If you run into a question concerning an algorithm you are unfamiliar with, chances are it is a symmetric
    algorithm.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    RussS wrote:
    Kerberos
    SSL/TLS
    SSH
    IPSec

Ummm - both icon_wink.gif

Actually, that is a statement which is both true and untrue. I think perhaps you are better off knowing the methodology of those systems rather than the encryption type.
    For instance IPSec uses MD5, SHA, HMAC, and HAVAL for hashing, amd uses DES, 3DES, and IDEA for encryption. The smaller & faster symmetric algorithms are used to hadh and the bigger and slower algorithms are used to encrypt the message.
    Robert ShimonskiThe numbers of symmetric algorithms used generally outweigh the number of asymmetric algorithms. If you run into a question concerning an algorithm you are unfamiliar with, chances are it is a symmetric
    algorithm.

Thanks, Russ.