Options

Route Study Materials

colink24colink24 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am ordering some study materials to hit Route. I can pretty much order what I like given I will be reclaiming the cash from work

So far I have on my list

IP Routing Foundation (as opposed to official cert guide)
Portable Command Guide
Cert kit (video flash card etc)

Any more suggestions/idea's?

Thx all

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wait for the CBT nuggets to come out shortly and get that to :)

Oh and the quick ref guide (electronic version) great for towards the end to read through to see waht you don't know ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Routing TCP/IP vol. 1
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Do they have a lab portfolio for the ROUTE? If not then I'd recommend the BSCI Lab Portfolio.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    colink24 wrote: »
    Cert kit (video flash card etc)

I found this to be a complete waste of money and time.

My suggestion is to either wait for the ROUTE cbt nuggets to come out (which should be fairly soon) or purchase the BSCI as it covers pretty much all the topics.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    colink24colink24 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found this to be a complete waste of money and time.

My suggestion is to either wait for the ROUTE cbt nuggets to come out (which should be fairly soon) or purchase the BSCI as it covers pretty much all the topics.

I suspected this! I have removed it from my list, thx!
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    Routing TCP/IP vol. 1

You mean this Routing TCP/IP: v. 1 CCIE Professional Development Routing TCP/IP: Amazon.co.uk: Jeff Doyle, Jennifer Carroll: Books ?

Thx for the replies all
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    If you have extra money to spare for your studies I would also suggest picking up the routing tcp/up volume 1 second edition book to go along with the ROUTE foundation guide.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    If you have extra money to spare for your studies I would also suggest picking up the routing tcp/up volume 1 second edition book to go along with the ROUTE foundation guide.

Does anyone know if these are due to be updated any time soon? Might just go on a book buying spree.
  • Options
    Tyson87Tyson87 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Trifidw wrote: »
    Does anyone know if these are due to be updated any time soon? Might just go on a book buying spree.

Hey, Im in the same situation about buying ccnp study materials, i work in a NOC and 2 CCIE guys were telling me to screw the new material and read the previously mentioned TCP/IP Routing vol. 1, 2nd edition, as well as doing the bsci lab manual.. I would still like to purchase the CCNp ROUTE ( certification guide by wendell odom) material since it is directly for the exam but i dont want to waste the cash if it turns out to be worthless. Also, dont want to buy the ROUTE foundation learning guide as its not out yet and know one has given it any reviews! I have to say that the TCP/IP routing is veryyyyyyy good and just breaks down the protocols to the very last and sometimes i think its overkill for the ccnp but its still a great book.. or as the fellas i work with say its " The Bible". any input would be greatly appreciated
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

BSc. Network Computing
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
  • Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    I"m also going after the ROUTE test. However, I don't have the funds yet for the new book. I do have the older book (CCNP 1: Advanced Routing Companion Guide - Cisco Networking Academy Program), which I'm reading now.

My issue is that I know that some things have been taken out of the new NP track that's still in the older books (i.e. wireless, security - ?) I don't want to spend time studying things that won't even be covered on the test. Yes, I know it's good to know them anyway, but I can do those things AFTER I've passed the NP!

Can anyone proffer some things to not "worry about" in the older books that aren't on the newer test for routing?
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    Can anyone proffer some things to not "worry about" in the older books that aren't on the newer test for routing?

IIRC security, most QoS, and ISIS are the only things removed.

Some other minor stuff has been added, ie NTP.

The best thing to do is just look at the exam blue print. I print one out before every exam I take.