Options

RIS Questions

4SG4SG Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Have some questions regarding RIS. Most of them come from conflicts in my sources and to be honest, I’ve never used it.

When RIS a set up on a server product, is an image created or just a copy of the /i386 folder from the XP Pro CD? The books I have refer to it as an XP image, but I thought the installation files were copied the distribution folder.

When installing RIS, at some point you have to reboot the computer. One source I have says you then need to run risetup.exe after the reboot - the other says after rebooting a window will pop up saying you installed a program that needs further configuration. Any idea which is right?

Is it possible to do a RIS installation without someone physically being at the client computer to initialize it? In other words does someone need to press F12 to start the process?

One of the sources I have says one of the benefits of using RIS is the ability to repair XP Pro. Is it possible to do a repair or dirty install when using the original XP “image”? It’s my understanding if you use an image created by riprep.exe, your hard drive will be repartitioned into 1 partition and you loose any additional partitions if you have them.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, someone will have to make the clients boot from the network manually.

As you can read in my technotes at you there must be at least one Windows XP CD-ROM based image to allow target clients to request additional installation files if needed. I.e. when the system file checkers detects a corrupted file and needs to repair it by replacing it with the original installation file. www.techexams.net/technotes/xp/installing.shtml#ris
    When installing RIS, at some point you have to reboot the computer. One source I have says you then need to run risetup.exe after the reboot - the other says after rebooting a window will pop up saying you installed a program that needs further configuration. Any idea which is right?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you be more specific?
  • Options
    4SG4SG Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Spent many hours researching RIS on MS since first posting this. Probably should have done that first. icon_redface.gif

About the part you requested more info:
    After installing RIS through Add/Removing Windows Components the system must be rebooted.
    After that, I seen what comes next written a couple of different ways:
    1 “The MS Windows 2000 configure Your Server screen appears, indicating that you have selected components that require additional configuration”. “Click Finish Setup”
    2 Run risetup to continue configuring RIS
    3 You have to go back into Add/Remove Windows Components to configure RIS
    4 Go back into Add/Remove Windows Components or run risetup.

Thanks
    4SG