Options

MS certs and Cisco track

neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
So after working my way up from desktop support to a server admin/net admin role over the past 10 yrs or so I've decided I want to go down the network engineer path and move away from the server monkey type job function.

Would it be beneficial to skip the full MCSE/MCITP path and only take the MS network centric exams (70-642) and Cisco CCNA > CCNP tracks?

I think I could knock out the MCSE 2003 core exams in 4-6 months with a little effort; I've been taking the practice exams and scoring 70-80% most of the time but I'm finding the questions I get wrong are because my answers are based on real world experience vs. what microsoft wants for an answer. Has anyone else had this problem?

Ideally, I'd like to avoid the time and money investment to take the exams if they are going to be marginally helpful.

Your comments and opinions are appreciated as always.

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Most of the network engineers I know don't deal with anything systems related such as Microsoft. They're all networking, Juniper, Marconi, Cisco, Alcatel Lucent, and a bunch of others. If you're already in the net admin role with 10yrs, you may want to stick there. Otherwise I see a potential pay cut for you to come over to the networking side.

Best of luck, I'm not saying it's not possible or worth your while. But you could take a financial hit and be back at square 1 doing Tier 1 support roles.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Server monkey to network monkey? icon_smile.gif If you want to do networking, no MS cert will give you kudos; it's gonna be about Cisco. More importantly, it's gonna be about experience, preferably both.

What the MCSE will give you is a flexible path to run on if you find:- the networking jobs have dried up / jobs require dual roles / networking sucks / sysadmins get more chicks, etc.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    sysadmins get more chicks

This much is true, icon_razz.gif.

As far as your question, do what you love. I'm a big proponent that it doesn't hurt to have both ends of the spectrum covered as worst case scenario it just means you're a network engineer who can navigate his way around a Windows server pretty well. But if you are looking for the bare bones of what you'd need to accomplish then just focusing on the network certs will get you there.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your responses, maybe I'll look for a change of scenery instead of a job shift.