Options

eLearnSecurity

LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
Any body ever heard of or used these guys ? I came across while reviewing ethicalhacker.net, and it sounds quite interesting. Was wondering if anybody in here knew about them, would recommend them or any similiar offerings.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lizano wrote: »
    Any body ever heard of or used these guys ? I came across while reviewing ethicalhacker.net, and it sounds quite interesting. Was wondering if anybody in here knew about them, would recommend them or any similiar offerings.

I was just talking with Dynamik about this. I'm reading the same review and strongly considering putting the 250 down and getting the course. It looks awesome. 650 is a decent amount of money. I wonder how much the student pricing is going to cost. . .
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    I was just talking with Dynamik about this. I'm reading the same review and strongly considering putting the 250 down and getting the course. It looks awesome.

Maybe we can get a group discount. lol. I am seriously considering it too.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I strongly recommend it. It's gotten rave reviews on EH from people whose opinions I respect greatly, and my manager loves it. We're probably going to have all our analysts do this. I've only seen bits and pieces personally, but I'll definitely be doing this after I wrap up the OffSec stuff. Armando seems like a pretty cool guy too icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Lizano wrote: »
    Maybe we can get a group discount. lol. I am seriously considering it too.

This literally woke me up. I was kinda lackluster (I've been reading about ISSE frameworks) but now I am awake now. I kind of need to pay attention to the policies since I have to write one for my company lol.
    dynamik wrote: »
    I strongly recommend it. It's gotten rave reviews on EH from people whose opinions I respect greatly, and my manager loves it. We're probably going to have all our analysts do this. I've only seen bits and pieces personally, but I'll definitely be doing this after I wrap up the OffSec stuff. Armando seems like a pretty cool guy too icon_cool.gif

You company seems like a pretty cool shop man. The class seems to be valuable but the certs value is going to take some time to determine.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    You company seems like a pretty cool shop man. The class seems to be valuable but the certs value is going to take some time to determine.

We get $4k for training annually. This course is a fantastic value; we're not too concerned about the certification. The SANS courses are fantastic, but they pretty much take up your entire budget for the year.

I'll probably also be taking these next year: Heorot.net

The first two are actually pretty affordable. It starts getting pricey at the third level...
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'll probably also be taking these next year: Heorot.net

The first two are actually pretty affordable. It starts getting pricey at the third level...

That looks sweet as well. I will probably start looking at this stuff after I get the SSCP so I can get those CPE's.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good God, there are more and more courses coming out. I don't know whether to be happy or dazed at how much work I have cut out for me...

Update: The more I read about it on their site, the more excited I get. Maybe I'm just a sucker when fed marketing fluff. In any case, I don't plan to work as a pentester, but I'm highly interested in the content material. Although I'm working on my CISSP, I'd much rather take this. Paying in full ($599 through this month) is do-able for me. Anyone know how this compares to the Offensive Security course(s)? I don't have a programming background at all, and I got the sense that the OSCP had content that required a basic understanding in coding. The FAQ for the eLearnSecurity mentioned that while it's recommended, it isn't ultimately necessary.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    docrice wrote: »
    Good God, there are more and more courses coming out. I don't know whether to be happy or dazed at how much work I have cut out for me...

Update: The more I read about it on their site, the more excited I get. Maybe I'm just a sucker when fed marketing fluff. In any case, I don't plan to work as a pentester, but I'm highly interested in the content material. Although I'm working on my CISSP, I'd much rather take this. Paying in full ($599 through this month) is do-able for me. Anyone know how this compares to the Offensive Security course(s)? I don't have a programming background at all, and I got the sense that the OSCP had content that required a basic understanding in coding. The FAQ for the eLearnSecurity mentioned that while it's recommended, it isn't ultimately necessary.

I don't think your a sucker. I will probably take this next year along with the C|EH. I hope they keep that price because paying $600 isn't doable this month. Still paying for stuff related to my move. Plus I want an Evo icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    From what I've heard, it's more structured, methodical, and comprehensive than the OSCP. The OffSec guys are notorious for their, "Try Harder" motto. If you're stuck on something and need a hand, well, you're just going to be told to try harder icon_lol.gif That said, the OSCP is a solid course. I'd take it after this one if you're going to do both.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Looks like something I might pursue next year after CCNA:S. Any programming pre-reqs needed?
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From their FAQ:

To benefit from the most advanced topics covered in the course, you're expected to have basic notions of programming languages and how networks and websites work. Recommended but however not strictly necessary skills are: C/C++/ASM/PHP basic understanding. Networking basic understanding.

I'm not a developer so I wouldn't have a clue, but I'm also not interested in gaining a cert out of this (at least not in the near term). I just want to add to my knowledge. If this course is as good as people make it out to be, it'll be well-worth the cost. Compare that to spending a few thousand at Global Knowledge for live instruction. I don't think I'd ever do those again. So far, the only course I've experienced that was worth the thousands was a SANS one.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    docrice wrote: »
    From their FAQ:

To benefit from the most advanced topics covered in the course, you're expected to have basic notions of programming languages and how networks and websites work. Recommended but however not strictly necessary skills are: C/C++/ASM/PHP basic understanding. Networking basic understanding.

ASM? Wow. I don't think I know anyone that knows ASM.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    ASM? Wow. I don't think I know anyone that knows ASM.

PC Assembly Language