Options

Hubs amplify transmission signal, but switches and bridges do not?

jacksparrowbizjacksparrowbiz Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I recently came across a practice exam question that wanted to know which devices would do well in between two 100m utp cables.
------ | Device x | ------
100m                 100m
It then thought a hub would do well, because it would amplify the signal, but a bridge or a switch would not.

So my question is, don't switches and bridges amplify the signal to full strength when sending it out? It doesn't seem logical that they wouldn't.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Hi, I recently came across a practice exam question that wanted to know which devices would do well in between two 100m utp cables.
    ------ | Device x | ------
    100m                 100m

It then thought a hub would do well, because it would amplify the signal, but a bridge or a switch would not.

So my question is, don't switches and bridges amplify the signal to full strength when sending it out? It doesn't seem logical that they wouldn't.

Thanks!

Yes, the signal is going to be "amplified" through a switch but I think what the question you read was trying to imply is that if you needed to run a cable over the 100m limitations, what would be the best device to use. Obviously you wouldn't want a hub in the middle of your network, but if you had a single device attached to it than it wouldn't actually cause any harm.

Beyond the CCNA level you will learn how switches receive frames at the port. The frame is placed in the port's "Ingress Queue"; If no QoS flags are marked, then the frame is processed according to which it was received. Once the switch determines the exit port, it is placed in the exit port's "Egress Queue" and once again processed according to QoS.

So at its basic form, a Hub or Repeater would accomplish what I am assuming they were asking.
    CCNP :study: