Options

CCNA:Security vs CCNP. Thoughts?

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've spent the past week or so trying to study the CCNA:Security books I bought. I'm mainly trying to get through the authorized self-study guide (paquet). I also have the official certification guide (watkins/wallace). I'm having real problems with them. Not that what I'm reading is really difficult, just that it's so dry (and frankly so far has read like a cisco device catalog). It's taken me a week just to get through chapter one because after a page or two I realize I haven't learned anything because it's all either how good this device does something I don't understand, or a lot of legalese.

I'm a bit bummed. My plan was to get CCNA:Security and CCNA:Voice while trying to get some network-based job, then use my job experience to get an idea where to go from there (CCSP, VP and/or NP).

I'm not really asking for advice; just thoughts from anyone/everyone who's gone through security and/or the CCNP.

I did well with CCNA materials; it was all really logical and I understand/can apply logical things really well. I understand CCNP is a lot harder, but if it's still logical perhaps it's better to just start studying that instead (official exam set is already ordered for ROUTE/SWITCH/TSHOOT).
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCNA:S is easy. The first few chapters of the Self Study guide are dry as hell though. Get through them and you can probably pass the test. Learning security now is only going to help you when you go to the pro levels.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    knwminus wrote: »
    CCNA:S is easy. The first few chapters of the Self Study guide are dry as hell though. Get through them and you can probably pass the test.

totally one hundred percent agree with this.
    stay focused and plow through those first few chapters and it will get infinitely cooler.
    WIP: IPS exam