Options

Hard time focusing

mtorresmtorres Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys, so i've been studying for about a month. Read Wendell Odom's book and watched CBT Nuggets. I setup a small lab at work to practice lab work on. I also purchased Trainsignal and started watching those videos but was bored with it and I even fell asleep twice watching them so figured maybe I could try the practice exams to see how I do. I did the trainsignal practice exams and got an 85 and a 90 on the other. but when I did the Boson exams I got like a 65 so obviously i am not ready. The boson exam was pretty tough, not so much tough but it seemed like a lot of the questions confused the heck out of me. So that is probably a good indication that I don't know the material.

So I thought I would start watching CBT Nuggets again but that started boring me and I just couldn't focus. So figured I would start reading the book again and same thing happened, as much as I would sit there and read my mind was just on other things. I am thinking maybe I cannot focus because i've already read or seen the materials and in the back of my head am thinking that I already know this stuff so i can't concentrate.

Anyone else having the same kind of experience? If so what did you do? I am thinking of buying the Sybex book and since it is a totally different book and I haven't read it maybe I can concentrate when i read it. Any advice anyone can give me that has been in the same situation?

Comments

• Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had the same issue when I was studying for ICND1; after doing CBTNuggets and Odom's book and scoring rather badly on a Boson exam, I grabbed Lammle's book for similar reasons; figuring the material, presented differently, would help me learn the material I clearly hadn't gotten. It didn't work though. I found myself really bored with it!

Instead I re-took boson's exam, and rather than treating it like a practice exam, I acted as if it were an actual exam. I really made an effort to try figuring out answers rather than giving up easily & having the exam engine give me the answer & explanation. Doing so let me really flex the brain muscles, and I was able to score considerably higher; enough to give me the confidence to schedule the test a week or two later and pass.

Perhaps your situation is different, but it's something to consider before forking over more cash for another book that may not help.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    I think that is real good advice. I hadn't thought about it until I read your post but the boson questions that required a lot of thought and I knew would take probably a good 5 minutes to figure out I kind of half assed them knowing nothing bad would happen if I got it wrong. So for example a question that would probably take me 5 minutes to really answer confidently, I spent about a minute on it and kind of gave it my best guess after thinking about it for a minute. Maybe I should just schedule a few hours to do the boson test as well as I can and see what I get. What score on the boson did you think was good enough for yourself to take the ccent exam?
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    mtorres wrote: »
    What score on the boson did you think was good enough for yourself to take the ccent exam?

I was scoring in the 80's on the Boson test when I booked the actual exam and passed with a 950 or so.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    this is the biggest reason i love to use as many sources as humanly possible. i definitely find myself going through study phases like you described above and being able to look at the material through a different author/writing style really helps me to focus once i become bored with one source.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Agreed on the multiple study materials. And sometimes you just need to take a break, walk away from it for a bit. As long as you aren't gone for months, you should retain most of the information. Then go back at it when you feel fresh once again.
  • Options
    Hey thanks guys for all of the advice. I am glad I am not the only one incapable of reading the same thing twice. I mean I can read it but won't catch anything. I think I am going to just schedule a few hours to really hit the boson with all i've got, if I still score low I am going to buy Todd Lammle's book and since it is something I have never read before I am thinking I will be able to focus. If I can't focus on it I am going to take a few days and not do anything cisco related (other than my work). I think another problem is that I do this stuff all day long at work and was coming home and watching videos and reading until i fell asleep and maybe I just over did myself with all the cisco stuff. Thanks again, I am really glad I asked.
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I lose focus, I try to take a break and then "play". If you have GNS3 or a LAB then build something just for the fun of it. Take a technology that you want to learn about and build it from scratch...don't follow a workbook. The idea is to relax and enjoy playing around in a router or switch with something that you want to know more about and it doesn't necessarily have to be a CCNA topic. The advantages are many

-If you are working on something you enjoy, then you will learn it quickly and not stress
    - You will learn the skills necessary to implement something there isn't a 1,2,3 roadmap for (which is about 50 - 75% of real world networking)
    - You might just gain some insight into CCNA topics without actively "studying"
    - Most importantly, when you build something from nothing that actually works...it's FUN :)

You obviously can't do this all the time but it's a great study break as opposed to watching Netflix :)
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    Thanks. Good idea, I'll give that a shot when i decide to take a break. I am definitely the kind of guy that loves just labbing it up from the hip as opposed to following a set of instructions.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I have that moment, too. What I do, I play some PC games to forget my frustration or read some fantasy books. Whenever, I take the Boson test, I always treat it like the real exam. Also, I always use the custom settings I put it 60 questions in 90minutes. Furthermore, I only take the practice exam once a week sometime twice. The reason is, so that I would not memorize the answers. I, myself, prefer to learn the material than passing the test. Of course, passing the test is the main goal.

To tell you the truth, I don't even know the main exam objective for ICND1 and ICND2 or any cert exam I have taken. I just study and learn them, and when I finished I give myself a couple of days to prepare myself, and if I think I am ready, I call the testing center if they have an available seat. If they say yes, I tell them that I will be there in 30 minutes. Yes, I am a walk-in dude.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    Yeah I hear ya. I am kind of the same way. For example when I did the boson exam I never looked at what I missed. i don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing but I never wanted to see what I missed for fear of memorizing the answers. But am wondering if maybe I should've gone back and looked at what I missed, because maybe there is a concept I am truly misunderstanding, but then again I'm scared I might start memorizing the answers and would have to go out and find another practice exam.

But that is a good point your guys are making about treating it like the actual exam. As simple as that sounds I had never really thought about it and always just would take the practice exam not giving it my all, just treating it as practice.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Dude when you click the show answer, there is a link to the pdf page. What I did was, when I made a wrong answer, I always clicked that link and review it.

$125 ain't cheap, man.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    I was worried about memorizing the answers a little bit too, but I made it a point NOT to just click the answer just because I knew it. It still made it a bit easier perhaps, but I still made myself work through the problem until I arrived at that answer. I remember one question I couldn't get my work to match what I remembered the correct answer to be. It's a bit frustrating clicking an answer that you KNOW is wrong, but it kept my score for that test honest, and I'd clicked the 'show me the correct answer/explanation if answered wrongly', so I got the chance to see what I was doing wrong.

• Options
    Well, took the Boson and did about the same. So going to purchase a new book but the only book the local bookstores have are the Wendell Odom books (which I have already read and am having a lot of trouble re reading) and one called CCent study guide by Matt Walker. CCENT Cisco Certified Enterprise Technician Study Guide (Exam 640-822), Matt Walker, Book - Barnes & Noble

I searched the forum and found one guy who used it and passed and another guy that was using it but never said if he had passed or not. I found 2 reviews on the internet and they seemed good. Anyone ever used this book? I really wanted to get the Todd Lammle book but if this one is good I'll just pick it up.
  • Options
    Check eBay; I got lammle's book from there for like $10. There's also Amazon or Border's. Border's marketplace is especially good; I got my CCNP pack from there for like $104 and it's normally $150-$160.

• Options
    Damn, $10? That is a deal, i'll check ebay out. Thanks.