Options

VTP - What am I doing wrong?

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am working in packet tracer, and I suspect that is my problem. Is there something wrong with my VTP configurations, it is practically default!

Solved:

Turns out it was because it was default. You need at least a domain for VTP packets to be sent. Apparently NULL and NULL don't match each other.
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• Options
    JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You need to set a case sensitive VTP domain name on both routers, immediately after that VTP messages will be sent out and you should be in business.
    Lab on!
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Set a VTP domain name
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    I'm gonna go with domain name. :)
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I'm gonna go with domain name. :)
    Basic troubleshooting of VTP. Check domain name, check version number, check to see if revision numbers match, check for password.

no domain name = no communication, as indicated by the differing revision numbers.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with the rest. Don't forget to use show vtp password to verify the passwords on each switch.
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    As well as checking you config as mentioned above, I have found that occasionally PT misbehaves.

I had an issues with VTP where for some reason one of my three switches weren't getting the lastest VLAN data. My config was ok, all trunks were working, really had me scratching my head. I closed down PT and restarted it and it worked fine!

That's the problem with simulators, sometimes you just don't know if it's an error with your config, or a bug in the sim. It's pretty rare, but just something to look out for.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    They're both configured as a server. Change one to client mode.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    phantasm wrote: »
    They're both configured as a server. Change one to client mode.

Theres nothing technically wrong with having them both as a server. It will still function correctly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Theres nothing technically wrong with having them both as a server. It will still function correctly.

Yeah, another thing people seem to get hung up on is thinking that a client can't update a server even if it has a high revision number.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Yep, you need to configure the vtp domain on both routers. If I remember it right the other router will learn the vtp domain name automatically, and that is when the vtp password comes into play. The password on both routers got to be the same for them to share their vtp update.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    Well, it was the domain. Forgive my logic, but I figured since they were both by default NULL they would match.

Well, I'm embarrased now. I was doing some crazy configs before in PT with a bunch of etherchannels and VTP and STP, but I could never get VTP to work even with a domain and password set.

So I decided to take it to its most basic form and see if I could get VTP to work in it. So I left everything to defaults and assumed it would work. Oh well. I had never configured VTP without a domain in a lab till now... haha I assumed it would work by default.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    chmorin wrote: »
    Well, it was the domain. Forgive my logic, but I figured since they were both by default NULL they would match.

Well, I'm embarrased now. I was doing some crazy configs before in PT with a bunch of etherchannels and VTP and STP, but I could never get VTP to work even with a domain and password set.

So I decided to take it to its most basic form and see if I could get VTP to work in it. So I left everything to defaults and assumed it would work. Oh well. I had never configured VTP without a domain in a lab till now... haha I assumed it would work by default.
    Off-topic
    How is the CCNA:Voice? Is it really hard?
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    thehourman wrote: »
    Off-topic
    How is the CCNA:Voice? Is it really hard?

I enjoyed the subject manor much more than the CCNA, so I found it fun. It was fun learning about everything from how phones used to ring, to making them ring in my room! The codecs and the processes were really interesting to me too. It is certainly different than the CCNA side of things.

Would I say it is hard? No. It is easier than the CCNA IMO.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote: