Options

IS the comptia Elearning class worth it?

Bgarr231Bgarr231 Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I'm trying to get back into computers, and start my certifications.

The college is offering the class for 1600, and I hear it nots hands on at all so I'd rather teach myself.

My problem is I'm not sure where to start.

IS comptia's Elearning class worth it? Has anyone taken this class, is it good?

IT cost 500, and that is not including the vouchers.

Right now I plan on going the A+->network+->security+ route.

I've taken computer science, and a few other PC classes. I have been into computers all my life, just now realized I want to do this as a career as I've completed my assos. for business MGMT and realized its not what I want.

ANY advice good or bad will be VERY helpful.

Thank you for taking your time to read my post!

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, probably not. I would not pay for it.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Honestly, probably not. I would not pay for it.

Any reasons why? I'm considering it because it says it focuses on a+ objectives, once you buy it you have 6 month access to the material.

Has ANYONE taken the comptia Elearning class for A+ and can give me ANY feedback?

Thanks for your reply knwminus!
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I don't think I would do it. For about $500 you could probably buy the Mike Meyers book or another of the books that are highly recommended, you could get a couple discount vouchers from Totalsem with practice tests, or something similar from other vendors and also watch the Professor Messer videos.

Or for that amount of money you could buy a couple books, use the free messer videos, buy a good used machine to take apart and practice on from craigslist or ebay, and probably have a few dollars left over.
  • Options
    O'HurleyO'Hurley Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Might I suggest (especially if you are a student) to go with the labsim products from testout. If you are a student you can get a promo code to get each module for $69 compared to $400 if you aren't.
    Currently Working On:
    -70-680, MCITP Enterprise Admin,
    -B.S. I.T (Net Design, Mgmt.)
    Currently Using/Reading:
    -Labsim 70-680
    -MS Press 70-680
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Bgarr231 wrote: »
    Any reasons why? I'm considering it because it says it focuses on a+ objectives, once you buy it you have 6 month access to the material.

Has ANYONE taken the comptia Elearning class for A+ and can give me ANY feedback?

There are tons of sites that say "focus on 'x' material"

The A+ exam requires experience, so work on getting some experience and buy a book or two (or borrow) Meyers and Sybex are two of the best for this certification and move on to more sought after certifcations, this one is not difficult (for those with experience).

Download the objectives from CompTIA and focus on what you don't know, review everything you do and if its on the objectives, expect it on the exam.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    O'Hurley wrote: »
    Might I suggest (especially if you are a student) to go with the labsim products from testout. If you are a student you can get a promo code to get each module for $69 compared to $400 if you aren't.

Do you know how to get that code? This seems like the comptia elearning, except its only 70.00.

Thank you for that advice!!!!!!
  • Options
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    I don't think I would do it. For about $500 you could probably buy the Mike Meyers book or another of the books that are highly recommended, you could get a couple discount vouchers from Totalsem with practice tests, or something similar from other vendors and also watch the Professor Messer videos.

Or for that amount of money you could buy a couple books, use the free messer videos, buy a good used machine to take apart and practice on from craigslist or ebay, and probably have a few dollars left over.

Yeah I do have a barebone case I could just invest in to have a mess around computer to help me learn how to build it.

The only reason I like this is I really enjoy learning from the computer, I hate reading books. Do those books come with cds that you know about?
  • Options
    O'HurleyO'Hurley Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you know how to get that code? This seems like the comptia elearning, except its only 70.00.

Thank you for that advice!!!!!!

Contact scooper@testout.com. You will need to show proof of enrollment in one of their accepted schools.
    Currently Working On:
    -70-680, MCITP Enterprise Admin,
    -B.S. I.T (Net Design, Mgmt.)
    Currently Using/Reading:
    -Labsim 70-680
    -MS Press 70-680
  • Options

I just think that you should save your money and invest in training for higher level certifications.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    I just think that you should save your money and invest in training for higher level certifications.

Yeah I understand. I was just worried I woulden't study the right material, thats why I thought possibly the Elearning class was worth it.

I also learn very well from the computer, I don't know why but when I read stuff online or watch videos online I remember it so well. I hope that site recommended me accepts my school, I'm going to check today.

My plan has changed to buying the mike and sabex book and trying to get onto that site, do those books come with cds? Anyone know the cheapest sites I can get them?

I also have a barebone PC that I used before so I'm going to buy some shitty hardware just so I can get windows xp on it to use as a practice computer :).

THANK YOU all very much for all your help , and if you have any other advice on anything feel free to leave it as it has already helped me so much!
  • Options
    Amazon.com: Mike Meyers' A+ Guide to Managing and Troubleshooting PCs (9780072231465): Michael Meyers: Books

Is that the right Mike Meyers book I should be buying? Will that be enough, or should I ask buying the Sabex?

I'm going to also watch those professor Messer videos online.

Thanks!
  • Options
    O'Hurley wrote: »
    Contact scooper@testout.com. You will need to show proof of enrollment in one of their accepted schools.

I sent out the email, hope my school is accepted. Thank you very much!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Amazon.com: Mike Meyers' A+ Guide to Managing and Troubleshooting PCs (9780072231465): Michael Meyers: Books

Is that the right Mike Meyers book I should be buying? Will that be enough, or should I ask buying the Sabex?

I'm going to also watch those professor Messer videos online.

Thanks!

Correct author, this is the book:
    Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 &…

Most folks use one then one book but if you have experience and you understand the objectives, generally his book is enough...depends on you though...
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Correct author, this is the book:
    Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 &…

Most folks use one then one book but if you have experience and you understand the objectives, generally his book is enough...depends on you though...

See I had experience but I have not been doing computer stuff for awhile. To be honest I got in some trouble with the law, which made me now focus on my career as I was making money by other means.

Thanks again :)
  • Options
    rgomez912rgomez912 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice videos :)

Plan of action for 2010: A+, Network+, Security+
    Plan of action for 2011: CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security
  • Options
    Yeah I understand. I was just worried I woulden't study the right material, thats why I thought possibly the Elearning class was worth it.

I also learn very well from the computer, I don't know why but when I read stuff online or watch videos online I remember it so well. I hope that site recommended me accepts my school, I'm going to check today.

My plan has changed to buying the mike and sabex book and trying to get onto that site, do those books come with cds? Anyone know the cheapest sites I can get them?

I also have a barebone PC that I used before so I'm going to buy some shitty hardware just so I can get windows xp on it to use as a practice computer :).

THANK YOU all very much for all your help , and if you have any other advice on anything feel free to leave it as it has already helped me so much!

Good deal. Buy the books and get to it. IMO save training for certs that really "mean something".