Options

70-646 is a bit of an animal

I'm not sure whether its in the "beast" category but its certainly a bit of an animal

Having failed twice recently with a "550" I got a 650 today icon_sad.gif
Just about two questions off I reckon. A big improvement but not quite good enough.

Exam was pretty staighforward (40 questions) but had about five very ambiguous questions that could have gone either way.

I may well have second-guessed a couple to my peril at final review but took the view that I did not know those particular questions anyway so took pot-luck.

I targeted three exam objectives which were weak last time only to find the other two turned out to be weakest on this exam.

I found The Sybex 70-646 and CBT nuggets to be a big help but the multi-scenario ambiguous questions foxed me on this occasion. I'm planning a re-match in 6 weeks time.
Back to the drawing board (again)........................

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear it's giving you so much trouble. The pro exams, from what I've heard, are a whole different animal. Is this the book you're using Amazon.com: MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Study… ?
    You may want to try using Transcenderto help gage your knowledge.
    Good luckj on the retake!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    earweed wrote: »
    Is this the book you're using Amazon.com: MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Study… ?
    You may want to try using Transcenderto help gage your knowledge.
    Good luckj on the retake!

Yes that's the book (which I found useful) and I was getting 90% + on Transcenders.

Its the multi-this-and-that trick question scenario ones that are throwing me.

I'm a bit annoyed as I had about 5 or 6 questions that I could have eaked 5% from but could not achieve.

As I said earlier most questions were strightforward logical questions but about 5 or 6 were worded in such a way that two options out of the four options were pure 50-50 pot luck.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Too bad you didn't pass, I'm currently studying for it currently in the first chapters of the MS book and I did get the sybex as well.

I did scan it quickly and found it pretty interesting I did a practice test before I started reading and get 500.

I really wanna finish studying in less than a month but I doubt I can.

Good luck in your next try, did you book a date yet ? any change in strategy ?
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    za3bour wrote: »
    I really wanna finish studying in less than a month but I doubt I can.

Good luck in your next try, did you book a date yet ? any change in strategy ?

Thanks for the replies.

I doubt whether a month is sufficient - for me I've been at it since February 2010 - but I'm what one would call a mature student :)

I've just booked a resit for 6 weeks time. Hopefully time to brush up overall and concentrate on weaker topics highlighted by last attempt. I'll be using mostly Sybex, some syngress, some MS Press (which I hate) and some Transcenders and CBT Nuggets.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm a more "mature" student as well. That's why I found I was going to need more than a month to study for the 70-643. There's just so much new material. I've found that creating additional lab scenarios and playing with them is helping me.
    You may also want to look at some areas in Infrastructure Planning and Design Guides for Windows Server 2008 and also since you did the 2k3 series first use this Changes in Functionality from Windows Server 2003 with SP1 to Windows Server 2008 for reviewing.

You might want to check out the skills measured Pro: Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator for the 70-646 and see if any match up with the 647 and use those areas in my sticky http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/54748-70-647-resources.html
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

I doubt whether a month is sufficient - for me I've been at it since February 2010 - but I'm what one would call a mature student :)

I've just booked a resit for 6 weeks time. Hopefully time to brush up overall and concentrate on weaker topics highlighted by last attempt. I'll be using mostly Sybex, some syngress, some MS Press (which I hate) and some Transcenders and CBT Nuggets.

Well the more I study the more I think it does need more than a month but i'm studying for 4-8 hours so it should not exeed 1.5 months.

I'm only using Sybex&MS book
  • Options
    texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
    Man that sucks that this test is giving you so much trouble.This test was my hardest test on my EA/SA track so its definitely a hard exam.I don't know what to suggest other than hitting the areas you did weak.You are close though probably 4-5 questions off.Good luck don't get discouraged.