Options

Wireless 70-642 - Having trouble with 802.1x wireless authentication

robdawg925robdawg925 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I can never seem to get 802.1x wirless authentication working. I keep on recieving "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network". Here' what i've done.

1. Installed NPS and configured 802.1X using the wizard. Set authentication method to Protected EAP.
2. Setup the wirless router as a radius client
3. configured wireless router to use WPA 2 -enterprise
4. installed certifcate authority with default settings.
5. installed a copy of the the IAS server certificate on the NPS server.
6. configured auto enrollment for clients. Verified that client authentication certificate was in personal certificates for wireless client.
7. configured wireless xp profile in group policy
8. client is using xp sp 3

Comments

• Options
    danc_101danc_101 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A few questions for you

Are you using computer or user authentication or both ?

Can you get the same supplicant to authenticate via a wired connection to the NPS, i.e. via an 802.1x compatiable switch ?

What make is your wirless router ?

You can run a network capture from the supplicant to see the PEAP-TLS exchange - this may help to find out whats wrong
  • Options
    robdawg925robdawg925 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    danc_101 wrote: »
    A few questions for you

Are you using computer or user authentication or both ?

Can you get the same supplicant to authenticate via a wired connection to the NPS, i.e. via an 802.1x compatiable switch ?

What make is your wirless router ?

You can run a network capture from the supplicant to see the PEAP-TLS exchange - this may help to find out whats wrong

Thanks for your response.

I'm using computer authentication.

I have not tried to authenticate via a wired connection. Unfortunately I do not have a 802.1x switch available.

I was thinking the wireless router could be the problem. I cant remember the exact model but it's a (formerly Linksys) Cisco Wireless router that supports WPA-Enterprise but are made more for home use. Maybe I could try a firmware update?

Thanks again for your help!

Robert