if we create 4 vlans in a switch..

dignitydignity Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
do we have 4 bradcast domains or what.. i

Comments

• sonagccnasonagccna Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As of my preparation for the exam, i learned each vlan created in a switch is essentially a new broadcast domain.
  • dignitydignity Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    but a switch with no vlans is in single braodcast domain ..if you create 4 vlans ..this means you create 4 broadcast domains(logically)..but what happens the other members of default vlan ..are they in different broadcast domain..because they are not in a broadcast domain which crated by vlans..
  • dignitydignity Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    since vlan increase the number of broadcast domain while decreasing their size..the answer must be 5 ..if you create 4 vlans ..u have 5 broadcast domanis..
  • netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, if you create 4 additional vlans then the switch will have 5 vlans including the default vlan.
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
  • sonagccnasonagccna Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i tried to say each vlan newly added is a new brdcast coming into pic. so the def vlan + 4 new vlan = the brdcast domain u have already + 4 new bcast doms
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    default VLAN is VLAN1. -> 1 broadcast dom.
    adding 4 new VLANs -> adding 4 broadcast dom = 5 broadcast dom.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • NocturnalNocturnal Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, you have five broadcast domains....unless you just overwrote vlan1 with another vlan1. Than you just have four.
    "...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right,..."
    --Tom Paine