Options

A start in the IT industry..

SkelligSkellig Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I've been reading the forums just today, and this seems like the best place for the question I haven't found a clear answer for. There are bits and pieces of information across the internet, but I could not find a distinct response for my inquiry. So, I figured it would be best if I gave my exact situation and get some input.

I am a recent undergraduate with a Business Administration degree looking, instead, to enter into the IT industry. I have been reading that it is best to get CompTIA A+ and Network+ certification before getting anything else; I was almost ready to jump into CCENT/CCNA without realizing exactly what I was doing. The reason I was looking at Cisco certifications is because I enjoy helping others with networking and any other computer needs they may have (and I read they have the most utilized certification for high-end networking careers). I am adept with basic computer maintenance, and have the ability to set up WAN/LAN routers with a repeater (no experience with switches yet).

So the question is, what is the best method for acquiring A+ & Network+ certification? Through lecture/classroom setting or can it be done (with my limited experience) by reading a book?

If the answer is through lecturing methods, then the two providers that I have seen are Unitek and CCBootcamp. Money isn't a huge issue, but keeping it to the cheapest possible amount is still a must. Unitek offers both courses in a 7-day time period, while CCBootcamp offers the two certifications seperately in 5-day time periods each. Are there any other learning services that beat those two sources (anybody's experiences with universities, for example)? Another question would be if the extra 3 days with CCBootcamp is better in my situation (more time to absorb the information before the exam).

If the answer is self-learning via books, I have read that it comes down to Meyers' or Sibex books, thanks to you guys!

Any information, even if it's just to one question since I know I have quite a few, would be appreciated. Thanks for the responses in advance! icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'd probably be fine with a book. Supplement with Train Signal or CBT Nuggets if you need. Check out Transcender for practice exams as well.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums

For the N+ / A + you can probably get some good books like the Sybex one's and also some CBT nuggets as suggested by Dynamik

That should help you through ( also remember that if you are certified before the end of this year - your certs are valid for life time )

good luck once again
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".