Need help on where to start

oberatixxoberatixx Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
My company is planning to implement a new ERP system and we purchased ORacle R12 E Business Suite. I've never dealt with Oracle before or with Databases/SQL. I would like to learn more and be better prepared but I don't know where to start. I'm looking at building database skills. Could someone please point me in the right direction. Are there any classes I could take?

Comments

• cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    oberatixx wrote: »
    My company is planning to implement a new ERP system and we purchased ORacle R12 E Business Suite. I've never dealt with Oracle before or with Databases/SQL. I would like to learn more and be better prepared but I don't know where to start. I'm looking at building database skills. Could someone please point me in the right direction. Are there any classes I could take?

This is the best place to start:Oracle By Example - Hands-On Tutorials

After you get familiar, then you might look into some of the Oracle University workshops. I can highly recommend the Admin I and Admin II workshops. Be sure to get a GOOD understanding of SQL, and familiarity with Oracle running on Linux. Tim Hall's website is a great resource to walk you through an installation from scratch: ORACLE-BASE - Oracle DBA and development articles, scripts, HOWTOs and forums (8i, 9i, 10g, 11g) be sure to look for the 10G and 11G installations sections.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    A seemingly mundane and perhaps a very noob question to which I haven't been able to find a straight and definite answer on Oracle's website:
    - do you have to complete the OCA level before taking on OCP exam(s)?
    In particular, I am looking at the Solaris 10 Certified Administrator, there are two exams to take, they are given by name and code but beside the exams themselves nothing else is listed as a requirement. Solaris 10 Certified Admin is on the OCP level.
    At the OCA level there's the Solaris 10 Certified Associate. Do I have to complete this one before taking the two Admin exams, or can I just go straight for the OCP level?
    varelg wrote: »
    A seemingly mundane and perhaps a very noob question to which I haven't been able to find a straight and definite answer on Oracle's website:
    - do you have to complete the OCA level before taking on OCP exam(s)?
    In particular, I am looking at the Solaris 10 Certified Administrator, there are two exams to take, they are given by name and code but beside the exams themselves nothing else is listed as a requirement. Solaris 10 Certified Admin is on the OCP level.
    At the OCA level there's the Solaris 10 Certified Associate. Do I have to complete this one before taking the two Admin exams, or can I just go straight for the OCP level?

I don't think there is a requirement to do them in a certain order, but in order to get the higher level cert, you must pass the required exams first.
    I think that is clear, what isn't clear is whether OCA is mandatory before taking OCP. The only two requirements listed are the exams, there's no mention of Associate being required before taking either of two Admin exams.
    I think that is clear, what isn't clear is whether OCA is mandatory before taking OCP. The only two requirements listed are the exams, there's no mention of Associate being required before taking either of two Admin exams.

No, OCA isn't required to *take* the OCP exam, but passing the OCP exam doesn't give you any benefit by itself. Passing the OCA does.
    Thank you cablegod, so OCA is NEEDED to get the Solaris 10 Certified Admin certification after successfully passing the two exams.
    So if I choose to go Solaris 10 path, I'll have to shell out US$300 to be tested on:
    Use commands to create, move, copy, rename, and remove files and directories
    One of the objectives of OCA Solaris 10...
    Holy guacamole...icon_blackeye.gif
    Thank you cablegod, so OCA is NEEDED to get the Solaris 10 Certified Admin certification after successfully passing the two exams.
    So if I choose to go Solaris 10 path, I'll have to shell out US$300 to be tested on:

One of the objectives of OCA Solaris 10...
    Holy guacamole...icon_blackeye.gif

If it shows 2 exams like the OCP DB track (and the DB track requires an expensive hands-on class too), then to obtain the credential, you must fulfill all of the requirements. Kinda expensive, but the real question then is, is it worth it to you and will it help your career?
    cablegod wrote: »
    If it shows 2 exams like the OCP DB track (and the DB track requires an expensive hands-on class too), then to obtain the credential, you must fulfill all of the requirements. Kinda expensive, but the real question then is, is it worth it to you and will it help your career?
    Speaking of the DB track, it is clearly stated there that you need associate passed AND attend classes. Unlike requirements for Solaris admin, that mention only the two exams and nothing else.
    As Oracle devoured and now digests Sun Microsystems, it inherited Sun's hierarchy of certifications in which Associate was a late addition and not required to pass in order to get higher certs. Take SCJP for example. I assume that will change and Oracle will enforce its hierarchy upon inherited certs from Sun. Interestingly enough, even Oracle official cert forum isn't sure on this. And I am surprised none of the Solaris 10 certified admins commented on it. Is it that few people going for Solaris cert?
    Solaris is a powerful system and I like many things I saw while experimenting with it, but its documentation is horribly sub par. If not for OpenSolaris project, that system would fall into even more obscurity...
    Speaking of the DB track, it is clearly stated there that you need associate passed AND attend classes. Unlike requirements for Solaris admin, that mention only the two exams and nothing else.
    As Oracle devoured and now digests Sun Microsystems, it inherited Sun's hierarchy of certifications in which Associate was a late addition and not required to pass in order to get higher certs. Take SCJP for example. I assume that will change and Oracle will enforce its hierarchy upon inherited certs from Sun. Interestingly enough, even Oracle official cert forum isn't sure on this. And I am surprised none of the Solaris 10 certified admins commented on it. Is it that few people going for Solaris cert?
    Solaris is a powerful system and I like many things I saw while experimenting with it, but its documentation is horribly sub par. If not for OpenSolaris project, that system would fall into even more obscurity...

It looks pretty clear to me, you can take the 2nd exam before the first, but to get the certification, you must also pass the first. That's how I read it. You might want to call Oracle up and see what they say about it. I'd love to know what they said.

SMpsz.png