Options

CCNPs

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Greetings my CCNP legion:

Quick question. For those of you with the CCXP:

How long did it take you to get it?
How much money did it add to your salary?
How long did it take you to get a "CCXP level job"?
How long did it take you to feel like you were a CCNP in practice (not just in paper)?

Thanks,

Black Router

Comments

• Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428

I would say 3 years. But, for the bulk of that time I wasn't working in a network role. I was in more of a generalist role where I would deploy switches, configure vlans, and other basic stuff so I had to spend more of my personal time learning everything.

I am still in the same position from when I had my CCNA so it didn't actually add a dime. I did however get a 1000 dollar cert bonus. Oh and some high fives, whatever thats worth

I still wouldn't call my job CCNP level. I think a strong CCNA could do my job. If I think about the material contained within the CCNA and the CCNP, I do some stuff that is in the CCxP curriculum such as GRE tunnels, distribute-lists, lots of multicast. Currently looking around to assume a more challenging position.

How long did it take you to feel like you were a CCNP in practice (not just in paper)?

Though I am more more knowledgeable than most of my colleagues, I still feel like I am mostly just a paper CCNP that has more book knowledge than practical experience.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    1.5 years

none until I changed jobs. About 20k when I did move.

about a year

About two years

Its hard to say whether I would have my current job without my CCNP. Im sure it helped of course, and I am glad I have it, but my employer couldn't care less if it expired tomorrow. All they care about is the knowledge and experience I learned along the way, and the proof for that is in my work, not the crumpled certs on my wall.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Took me over a year.

Got a new job after with about a $10K increase.

I already had a job doing "professional" level work before I got the NP.

I knew a few NPs that I was already way better than when I got mine so I pretty much felt good with it as soon as I got it. I was still a little scared to mess things up though :)
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Awesome guys. Thanks!
  • Options
    abhustlerabhustler Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Took about 5-6 months of actual studying. But I was doing Professional and to some degree CCIE level stuff at work.

Still at the same job but its expected that I'm going to take over the senior engineer role when our current Sr. Engineer leaves (should be within the next few months and a CCNP is required)

Already felt I was doing CCNP level stuff at work so not much changed with the Cert.
    A master at anything was once a beginner
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    8 - 9 months (new track)

None so far

I think my job is CCNP lite. I have almost every topic in the CCNP applied to my job, except for wireless, and 6500 switches. However, it's to a small to medium scale.

I still feel like the CCNP was a little easier than I anticipated. The more practice I get the better I feel about it though.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    about a year

I got a good bump in pay once i left the old job
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Took me about a year as well.

I got a ~$12k bump.

I probably wouldn't have gotten my current job without the CCNP, so I'd say it took me three or four months to get a Professional level job. But I think that's all relative cause a CCNA could do much of my job.

I don't know when I started to feel like a real CCNP. Probably when answering questions on forums became easier.
  • Options
    Kinda forgot about this thread. Thanks for the new responses. I guess the next question is how much cisco gear were you working on when you started/completed the CCNP? I really want to do it but we have a smallish network stack so it almost makes it seem like I shouldn't do it...
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□

December 08 -> July 10 - though I could have done it in 8 months easily.

So far, nothing.

I've turned my current job into one that requires CCNP level knowledge ideally, but a CCNA can manage what we have here

Depends what a CCNP is supposed to feel like, but I guess I am beginning to feel it with the interest that head office MIGHT be taking my new found qualifications...
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    Took me around 11 months to get my CCNP.

No pay raise unfortunately. Working for the government during bad times means no pay raises for awhile.

I was working at my current job while I going for my CCNP but once I obtained my CCNP I was moved to a position working directly with the network architects instead of break/fix.